The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
DK Customs
DK Customs
NHRS Performance
NHRS Performance

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
JDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enough
Default What should i have done?

Ok, so Im getting worried now. I recently picked up a new to me 2004 XL1200C fo $4,000.00. Not a bad deal. Was unmolested and very clean with 9500 on the engine. But after reading about not having a trap door for the transmission, I am second guessing whether or not I should have gotten a rubbermount. Now, I have no issues with the tranny right now, but am worried about the future. Should I be, or am I just being paranoind? I just know that I don’t want to split the cases……ever. I know, I know, ride it til it breaks. I just want to know if it is inevitable that I will have to split the cases. Should I have gotten a solid mount (1986-2003)? Lemme know what ya guys think.
Old 14th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't have to worry about splitting the cases for at least another ten to fifteen years. Worry about it then. Should you have gotten a solid mount? Of course!

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 14th December 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

The rubbermounts are reliable, and some members have high mileage on their bikes. Its just me but I wouldn't trade my rubbermount for any other model. You aren't missing anything.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 14th December 2010
Jester Syndicate

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about it. The Rubbermount transmissions are pretty stout.
Old 14th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Fairlane 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
SuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
i shouldn't have to worry about splitting the cases for at least another ten to fifteen years. Worry about it then. Should you have gotten a solid mount? Of course!
+1....
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th December 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutsey View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. The Rubbermount transmissions are pretty stout.
True that. You'd really have to work pretty hard at tearing one up.
But then again some do. I wouldn't worry about it. My solid mount has 50K on it and I haven't had to use the trap door yet.
Old 14th December 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

Got to agree with these guys. The Trap Door would be one of the last reasons why I would choose a rubber mount or a solid mount.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Old 14th December 2010
Turbo Mafia

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant future

Look at it this way, The MOCO took the trap door out because they realized that the chance of anyone needing to get to the transmission for repair on the rubber mounts is slim to none...
Old 14th December 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
snake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nice

Don't Worry Be Happy
Old 14th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

Enjoy the ride!!! Worry about the trans when you have trans trouble. Lets see some pics.
04 1200R N4 cams, custom A/C , stage 1 P&P, porker switchblades, Tc88a with Ricos Hooligan map, 185 main, 48 slow, and custom 5.2 gal tank. 3-1/2in extended forward controls, Enough about me, tell me about you.
Know Thy Hog