The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
Licks Holiday
Biltwell
Get Lowered

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1970 ironhead sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
cava52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas antique plates

Wanted to know if any fellow Texan cycle riders are running antique plates. Would like to hear of any experiences one might have of running these on the road.
Old 15th December 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

I haven't seen any other than on old BMWers here in San Antonio. With that said, check this out:

"Antique Motorcycle

Antique license plates are issued for motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising; however, the vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance."

https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/...d=50&pltid=181

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15th December 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Well, that would pretty much puts the kobash...

...on running those plates for me --- if I were so inclined.
If it's not being ridden...it's a paperweight, not a motorcycle.
Old 15th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Fairlane 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
SuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnsa View Post
Antique license plates are issued for motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/...d=50&pltid=181
The state considers a motorcycle made before 1985 to be an antique? Wha?! So me being born in '84 must make me an old timer!
Old 15th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1000 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR-CI Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Mickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura aboutMickey Shane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnsa View Post
I haven't seen any other than on old BMWers here in San Antonio. With that said, check this out:

"Antique Motorcycle

Antique license plates are issued for motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising; however, the vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance."

https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/...d=50&pltid=181
Thanks for the link. I thought that it was 35 years to antiqueville. I recently got one for my '76, even though 1/1/11 will be 35 years. I did not know about "exclusively for exhibitions", though I guess I could say that every ride is an exhibition. The lady at the DMV didn't seem to care one way or the other as long as I paid the $25. I see the link says $50, but I know I paid 25.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about

Nice thing is no inspections needed .
Old 15th December 2010
Lord of the Flies

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Grumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of light

Pennsylvania is the same way. Puts restrictions on how many miles it can be driven and also any mods to the vehicle...
'83 GL1100 Goldwing (cafe project)
My '86 XLH build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
...like so many other things in life, bikes on the verge of self destruction thru modification are a blast.
Old 15th December 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

This really has nothing to do with what the OP started with but I looked at the link to the Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. and perused the "vanity" plates. They offer one for LSU (Louisiana State University) alumni. What is with that? LSU is in another state (Louisiana..Duh). I have always had respect and admiration for Texas (the Alamo and all that) but they think so little of their state that they have to shop around out of state for something to put on their license plates. Would one of you Tejanos 'splain this to me please.
Much grass,
Flash
El Pinche Guero

2009 XL1200N Nightster...SE Heavy Breather>SE SP black slip-ons w/modified Cycle Shack baffles>Speedway Instruments MicroTach+>Super Brace>Kriss headlight modulator. Willie G skulls @ gas cap,derby and timer>Misc. black nut and bolt covers>Garage Leathers solo bag>Mustang Vintage 12.5" solo seat>LED taillights>10.75" RK air shocks>G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn throttle>Power Commander V>Giving 10R12 plugs a try.

76 HP X 79 TQ

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Cracked Craniums MC
Old 15th December 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

We have lots of specialty plates:

# Motorcycle

* Adopt-A-Beach
* Big Bend National Park
* Coastal Conservation
* College for all Texans
* Ducks Unlimited - Blue Heron
* Ducks Unlimited - Classic
* Fight Terrorism
* Florida Alumni Association
* God Bless America
* God Bless Texas
* Insure Texas Kids
* LSU Alumni Association
* Mothers Against Drunk Driving
* Native Texan
* Rotary International
* San Jacinto Texas Historic District
* Stop Child Abuse
* Texas Parks and Wildlife Conserv - Bluebonnet
* Texas Parks and Wildlife Conserv - Horned Lizard
* Texas Parks and Wildlife Conserv - Largemouth Bass
* Texas Parks and Wildlife Conserv - Whitetail Deer
Old 15th December 2010
Be annoyed Now;Ask Me How

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure about Texas but in Florida if you can find a license plate the same year as your vehicle you can have it re-registered for your vehicle. I had a 1963 plate for my Comet.

Virginia I had a 63 plate for the Comet but it was considered antique/show car. Because the tag was a one time fee. Once you get the tag here you don't have to renew the tag each year like a regular car. But I would drive it anywhere I wanted. If I got pulled over I told the cop I was driving the car just to keep it road worthy. Like charging the battery, burning off the stale gas & stuff like that.

So if you get antique tags I'm pretty sure you could get away with riding where ever you want.

"... With Liberty & Justice for All." Must be 18, Void where prohibited, Some restrictions may apply, Not available in all 50 states.

"My intentions are good & earnest & true but under my seat is internal combustion power. Satan is my motor(scooter)"
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Not only are the voices in your head real...they're accurate too!
Know Thy Hog