The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Burly
Licks Cycles
Superbrace.com
Licks Cycles

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
corad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary oil and capacity 1980 XLH Ironhead

Can anyone tell me what weight oil and how much I need to put into the primary case after I replace the clutches and steels. The book says to fill until its coming out of the fill hole and this should be 1.5 pints which is not enough to fill the case at all.
Old 17th July 2005
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Fisherman is an unknown quantity at this point

DON'T fill to fill hole. If you look down low under where the foot peg / shifter shaft is, you'll see a small (about 3/16ths) screw. hold bike upright & fill 'till it comes out this hole. If you've emptied the primary, then just put in 1 & 1/2 pints & you're good to go. If it's a pre '80's Sporty, use the same oil you put in the engine. If it's post '80, use sportrans (HD) oil...

Last edited by Fisherman; 17th July 2005 at 00:55..
Old 17th July 2005
Biker

The oil that I was sold from the local mom and pop shop here Rolands motor works was 70W90 Full synthetic it totaly burned the clutch outand I did put it in according to the book I was just making sure I was reading it right thanks. When I change the clutch now in will put in same as engine oil. Its a 1980 sporty by the way. I should have read the book about primary case oil my bad so I guess I'm getting a new clutch.
Old 17th July 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I have used SportTrans in the primary on my 1980, and 20W50 in the engine. On my last oil change i used Mobil 1 15W50 in both. Works just fine, and i need keep only one product on hand for both.
Old 17th July 2005
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Fisherman is an unknown quantity at this point

Did it burn out the clutch or just started slipping really badly. The synthetic is super slipery. That's why you don't use it for engine oil as it will cause bearing skate & ruin your bottom end. I've heard that the synthetic can be cleaned off the friction plates & the clutch salvaged if it's only slipping...
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th July 2005
Biker

The friction material was falling off the plates pieces of it were falling out as I was taking the plates out.
Old 17th July 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: AMF XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDS-CONV
Other Motorcycle Year: 94
showmebandit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman
Did it burn out the clutch or just started slipping really badly. The synthetic is super slipery. That's why you don't use it for engine oil as it will cause bearing skate & ruin your bottom end. I've heard that the synthetic can be cleaned off the friction plates & the clutch salvaged if it's only slipping...

OLD WIVES TALE...maybe you should let the MOTOR COMPANY know about this so they quit manufacturing synthetid fotr their bikes....I'd run 20W50 full synthetic in both places...been doing that since synthetic came out on my 73 Ironhead as well as my Dyna...the 70/90 is to freakin heavy for primary oil...use the 20W50 and your issues will be over....I use the 20W50 V-twin Synthetic that Mobile one sells at Walmart for $6.88 a quart...