The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Foxcreek Leather
NRHS Performance Long 2
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Mac,
Thank you Sir. Got the Bobcat and I'm going to do the Bobcat and Krankenvent together when I get some time.

Be safe, have fun, wheelie if you can!

Ken Reed
/-----\ http://www.parmarng.org ..................... If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
|*------/\ ...............Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|--------| ...............Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+--------+ ...............Silence is taken as consent. Do you consent?

Old 8th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Howdy,
Just added a GPS to my toys list, and needed 12 volt power for it on the Sportster. Looked high and low and did not find anything to my liking. Lots of handlebar mounts, but none that fit the style of my motorcycle.

So here is what I made. Hope it helps someone.

Ken Reed

Layout on 16 gauge mild steel.

Screwed down to 2x4 to drill 1-1/8" hole with stepped drill.

The power outlet and mount.

All mounted up, ready to go.

Last edited by freeidaho; 9th July 2012 at 00:37..
Old 29th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Howdy,
The GPS is "mounted" and working great. In town I can hear the Garmin calling out the streets and turns. The touch screen works great through the clear plastic map pocket.

The prototype mount is three layers of cardboard glued together and painted black. If this turns out to work over the long haul, I will reproduce the mount in kydex.

I chose this method of mounting the GPS because it is fairly waterproof, isolates the unit from vibration, and it comes into a restaurant with me when I stop, and I only use it when the tank bag would be on the bike anyway.

Ken Reed

Last edited by freeidaho; 29th July 2012 at 18:47..
Old 29th July 2012
JESTER MAFIA

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Well done dude...have some rep.

Jester Mafia
Old 29th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thank you Sir ! ! !
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Nicely done Ken, what model did you get and what was your criteria?
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 29th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Paul,
Thank you !

I bought the Garmin 1490LMT. I wanted something with a 5" screen and lifetime maps. Garmin is the only brand I really looked at due to prior experience and history. I wanted a dedicated GPS instead of a phone, because if you live in the boonies like I do, when phone service is unavailable, so is the GPS in a phone. In much of Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and Nevada you can go for a hundred miles or more without a phone signal.

It works in the truck too.

Ken Reed

Last edited by freeidaho; 30th July 2012 at 03:31..
Old 8th August 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
awol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura aboutawol70 has a spectacular aura about

stellar thread,ken. (I envy your skills..)
Old 9th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

AWOL,
Thank you Sir !

Ken Reed
Old 3rd September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Howdy,
Thank goodness for long weekends, I finally got to doing my crankcase vent project.

First, a big thank you goes to Deimus for documenting his search for better crankcase ventilation. Thus I am doing his Krankenvent modification.

Here is the bike torn down, ready for the cam cover modification.

Beginning fabrication of the oil control baffle.

The baffle, final form.

The baffle installed.

Tapping the cam cover for the vent fitting.

Making sure the cams are still in time. Some of them came out with the case.

Tomorrow, I will finish up putting back on the tank, and putting on the Bobcat. But this is enough for today.

Thanks for checking by,

Ken Reed

Last edited by freeidaho; 10th September 2012 at 04:22..
Know Thy Hog