The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
Ironworks Magazine
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
S&S Cycle

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger (NHRS 1250)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 76 Ironhead
Other Motorcycle Model: 73 Ironhead
cc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura about
Question 75 left hand shift mechanism ....

hello all, can anyone help me out with the mechanism that the 75's started using to make the right side shift a left side shift? i heard the the setup sucks. can it be changed back to a right side shift, and if so what would it take? if not how bad is the setup? reason why im asking is im looking at buying a 75. thanks everyone.
Old 1st March 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
heavy.clutch is on a distinguished roadheavy.clutch is on a distinguished road

Here are some of the part numbers to go right shift,i have gone right shift on my 76 which i found some much more positive with the shifting.

shifter shaft 34628-52
cross shaft 42549-52
brake pedal 42410-52
spring 42426-58
shift lever 34606-71
Old 1st March 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I think ya might have to get a gear case cover also, though I thought the 75 had a plug in the hole where the shifter shaft comes through. I cant remember, though my parts book shows a different part number for 75 gearcase cover vs 74.
The numbers for 74 are,
25200-71, XLCH
25201-71, XLH
The problem with changing the gearcase cover is the bushings that support the cams are no longer matched to the bearings in the case, and to line bore them, ya gotta split the cases.
Old 1st March 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
heavy.clutch is on a distinguished roadheavy.clutch is on a distinguished road

You also need a rear backing plate and rod for shifting,
Old 1st March 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger (NHRS 1250)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 76 Ironhead
Other Motorcycle Model: 73 Ironhead
cc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura aboutcc rider has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy.clutch View Post
Here are some of the part numbers to go right shift,i have gone right shift on my 76 which i found some much more positive with the shifting.

shifter shaft 34628-52
cross shaft 42549-52
brake pedal 42410-52
spring 42426-58
shift lever 34606-71
thanks for the info. can you tell me a little more about how to do it. and will i need a case cover. is it a hard job to do? do you have any pictures to show me what it looks like. thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st March 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

When you get this sorted out take lots of pics and write up the procedure. We can then add it into the Stickys.
Old 1st March 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead sportster
m2g4b is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know for sure what it takes to do this, cause i am about to do it as well??? why would you need a new cam cover, the stock 76 shifter rides in a bushing that is in the cam cover, so if you knock it out and replace it with a bushing the 74 shifter should just extend right thru it and be fine???? other than a new shift shaft, bushing and shift lever.....that should be it for the shifting side right?

also on the brake side, i started that last night, i used the stock shift cross-over bar that was already on the bike.....ran a heim joint from it on a 5/16 all thread to the rear brake and hooked that together.....then i added a return spring to that.....seems like its going to work pretty good...
Old 1st March 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

Don't need a new cam cover just knock the existing bushing and install a bushing for right side shift. You will have to remove the primary drive and trans to install the shift shaft. All that extra play in the shift linkage will be gone. Sounds like you already have the rear brake changes well in hand.
Old 1st March 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, thats cool. I wasnt sure on the cam cover, thanks BuckI.
If you do decide to do this, get a FACTORY service manual. Its not that hard of a job, but your gonna have to pull the tranny.
Old 2nd March 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2g4b View Post
does anyone know for sure what it takes to do this, cause i am about to do it as well??? why would you need a new cam cover, the stock 76 shifter rides in a bushing that is in the cam cover, so if you knock it out and replace it with a bushing the 74 shifter should just extend right thru it and be fine???? other than a new shift shaft, bushing and shift lever.....that should be it for the shifting side right?
When I converted mine, I had to bore out the gear case cover. The 76 shift shaft is smaller in diameter than the right side shift shaft. You will see the difference when you get the parts. I seem to remember I had to make a bearing to go around the new right side shaft. Plus, the alignment of the shaft had to be corrected. It can be done, it's just a pain in the butt.
Know Thy Hog