The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lowbrow Customs
883 Sportster
Lickscycles
Motor Stage

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Black anniversary XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
shameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to all
Default Probably a stupid Voltage Regulator question

Ok I'm going to jump on this thing again tomorrow so I need some advice.
The sticky says "5. Regulator Test

Disconnect the regulator. Connect your ohmmeter to the orange and tan wires. Note the reading. Reverse the connections. Note the reading. One reading should show continuity, the other should show no continuity. If the regulator does not pass this test it is no good. This is the circuit that prevents the reg from draining the batt when the bike sits overnight.
"

I have a Cycle Electric regulator, and as you can see, no orange wire or tan wire. Mine are brown and green.

My genny tested out good at the shop. I've got to get this fixed. Should I just check continuity the same way with the wires I have or am I missing something? Also, I have been looking at the threads about using an aftermarket automotive regulator but I haven't been able to nail down exactly which one to use. If my CE reg is shot I don't have 150 clams to drop on a new one.

All the people that owned this bike before me should have their scrotums removed with the lid from a rusty potted meat can.

Last edited by shameless; 14th April 2011 at 02:05..
Old 3rd April 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

the test between the wirre that goes to a term & wire that feeds the battery.

heres stuff that you probly dont know. that generator is a model 65. they were used only on 1965 bikes. after 1965 the model 65a generators were used.

there are1000 model 65a for each model 65. and they are not wiered the same. 65 has f term in front 65a has a. the body and brush plate are different between 65 & 65a.

if there are 65a parts in that gen then the internal wiring nedds to be 65a also. then the marking on gen terms wiil be wrong you just have to know that a is front.

its to bad that body is mucked up from wrong field shoe bolt. or id try to buy that 65 body from you.
Old 3rd April 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Is that the CE reg that mounts to the end of the gen? If so it is different and i think that the Sticky procedure may not apply. There is some info about the CE gens/regs near the end of the Sticky. Here is a link to the CE website. You may find more info there ...

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/
Old 3rd April 2011

shameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to all

Yeah the reg mounts to the end of the generator.

That is what threw me when I first got the bike. My ignorance to ironheads lead me to think I had a CE generator but it's not. It's just the regulator.

Dr. Dick, can you help me uderstand what I need to do to fix it. If it is a 65 and not a 65a what needs to happen to get it working? If the fields are reversed, is that why the light gets brighter when I rev it up?

Can I just switch the wiring inside to the other post thereby making the "A" post the field and the "F" post the armature? If need be I can pull the genny apart again and get some pics so we all can see what's going on inside.

Last edited by shameless; 3rd April 2011 at 19:23..
Old 3rd April 2011

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shameless View Post

Dr. Dick, can you help me uderstand what I need to do to fix it. If it is a 65 and not a 65a what needs to happen to get it working? If the fields are reversed, is that why the light gets brighter when I rev it up?

no prob. answer each quest.
1) what lite gets gets briter? head lite? gen lite?
2)did YOU or did somebody else test the gen at shop?
3) do you have a dc volt meter?
3a) what volt ranges does it check?
4) do you have a battery charger
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd April 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
no prob. answer each quest.
1) what lite gets gets briter? head lite? gen lite?
2)did YOU or did somebody else test the gen at shop?
3) do you have a dc volt meter?
3a) what volt ranges does it check?
4) do you have a battery charger
1. The Gen. light gets brighter with more RPMs.
2. Generator was tested at a Generator/starter repair shop.
3. Yes I have a multimeter with DC volt setting.
3a. 20-2000m setting range
4. Yes the battery charger is a 6v6a, 12v2a, 12v6a

Now in all fairness, I tried to test my genny by the sticky before I took it in but it was giving me all kinds of crazy readings. I got frustrated with it and that's what prompted me to take it to the shop.
Old 3rd April 2011

Default gen/reg

cool.
trouble shootin the gen-reg aint to hard. the key is to use the correct meter settings, hook meter up so it checks just what ur tryin check, & be able to read the meter.

for this a meter with a needle is easier to use than a digital. seeing the needle movement is more helpful than watching numbers flash.

most multis check 4 at least different electrical conditions.
ac volts
dc volts
micro amps
ohms

then theres a few ranges of each avaiable.

setin the meter correct is the 1st step.

if your not 100% sure on how to set meter to check 0-50 volt dc ur stuck.

if ur not 100%- and i mean 100%- sure then post a pict of meter so we both are on same page.
Old 3rd April 2011

Ok, here's what I have.
Old 3rd April 2011

that will work. show me the lower area where the leads plug in to the meter. remove leads for pic.
Old 3rd April 2011

Know Thy Hog