The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
Speedway Instruments
Lowbrow Customs
NHRS Performance
Lowbrow Customs

NRHS Performance Long 2
Tags
cam sensor, timing, xl883dlx

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
mpainter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timing & Cam Sensor Woes

Hi All, I just picked up this bike a few weeks ago and have been slowly working on it when I can. Here is what I have: 1989 XL883 Deluxe upgraded to a 1200, S&S Shorty Super E (28 Intermediate Jet) and 2" Drag Pipes. The bike runs for the most part but didn't have much power and was fouling plugs. My father said it sounded like the timing was retarded so I bought the clear timing plug, took off the aftermarket sensor cover and was about to start when I noticed the previous owner had the sensor plate mounted in the two solid holes instead of the adjustment slots. When I moved the sensor to the proper holes I couldn't get the thing to run much at all. There was backfiring galore. When I put the plate back to those two holes it will run. When I hold the plate down and advance the timing maybe a degree or two the bike runs much better. I know this shouldn't be in there this way and I'm not sure why it is. This is my first HD by the way. Any type of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The bike has some other problems too but those I'll post in the correct section.
Old 10th May 2011
Biker

Default Cam Sensor Picture

Below is a photo of the sensor plate installed in the bike.
Old 10th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: S3 Thunderbolt
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Buellchop2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like something is way out of whack with the timing...make sure the sensor plate is in good condition, check that the rotor cup is installed properly, check the part #'s on both and make sure they are correct for your bike. If everything checks out ok, static time the bike according to the manual (I'm sure there's a few threads on here about how to do it).

If that fails, I'd pull the cam chest cover and make sure the timing marks all line up the way they're supposed to. If the cams are a tooth off from the pinion gear, it could cause the problems you're having.
Old 10th May 2011
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellchop2 View Post
Sounds like something is way out of whack with the timing...make sure the sensor plate is in good condition, check that the rotor cup is installed properly, check the part #'s on both and make sure they are correct for your bike. If everything checks out ok, static time the bike according to the manual (I'm sure there's a few threads on here about how to do it).

If that fails, I'd pull the cam chest cover and make sure the timing marks all line up the way they're supposed to. If the cams are a tooth off from the pinion gear, it could cause the problems you're having.
what he said, you would only need to retard your bike if something was way off. I'd bet the cams are off. I'm by no means an expert but that's where I would start if those part numbers are good. Can you get a hold of the previous owner and as wtf that rigged up shite is?
Old 10th May 2011
Biker

Actually, the first thing you might check is if your bike has a VOES switch on it...the purpose of which is to retard the timing under low vacuum. Might be that it's in constant retard mode. Here's a website that explains it:

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th May 2011
Senior Bike Builder

SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellchop2 View Post
Actually, the first thing you might check is if your bike has a VOES switch on it...the purpose of which is to retard the timing under low vacuum. Might be that it's in constant retard mode. Here's a website that explains it:

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html
I duno man, if you look at the pic that thing is retarded a TON from the most counterclockwise position that sensor can accept. Anyway, wouldn't hurt to check the voes and its certainly easier than tearing into the cam cover and heads.
Old 10th May 2011
Senior Bike Builder

I looked up that on and its the right one.....I still can't get over how that thing is rigged up

Oh and welcome to the world of sports and the xlforum from cali-FORN-IA!!!!
Old 10th May 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpleHugger View Post
I duno man, if you look at the pic that thing is retarded a TON from the most counterclockwise position that sensor can accept.
I'm sure you're right...god knows, if it was my bike it wouldn't be something that easy, but it can't hurt to cap the vacuum line before checking everything else.
Old 10th May 2011
Biker

Thank you all for the replies. It does have a voes so tonight after work I will check that to make sure it is working correctly. I might still be able to get in touch with the previous owner, hopefully he might know why this is that far off.
Old 10th May 2011
Senior Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpleHugger View Post
I looked up that on and its the right one.....I still can't get over how that thing is rigged up

Oh and welcome to the world of sports and the xlforum from cali-FORN-IA!!!!
Sorry, saw a typo, the part number is correct.
Know Thy Hog