The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dear Harley-Davidson Inc.
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. Here is where you can post a message to Harley-Davidson. Please do not expect answers. This is only meant as a place where the Motor Company can view issues that their customers have.

Members Birthdays
BIKE BUILDER
883 Sportster
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Motomel X3M 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
krono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of light
Default Liquid cooling coming soon?

So, I found this video

2012 Harley-Davidson patents cylinder head liquid cooling system for future engines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Wh2zha8ug

and

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...-heads-patent/

What do you think? I think Im glad I got my bike in 2004, before all the massive electronic junk started to pour out...

Harley, just please NO, stop adding junk to our bikes...

Old 24th June 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
vlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to all

Isn't the V-rod already liquid cooled? I know many people don't like the fuel injection and the other goodies, that M/C manufacturers are adding, not by choice, but its that they are being forced to by the EPA to reduce emissions
Old 24th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

it's not a matter of adding junk, H.D. has to please the E.P.A. This is as much about noise control as anything else and it is inevitable. Check the oil cooled heads on the XR1200.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 24th June 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Motomel X3M 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
krono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of light

glad then that I have a older bike, would never buy a V-Rod ... this is the end of the brand for me... if I wanted something like the V-Rod, I would go to a japanese brand

Harley should lobby this, or pull out of the country and start making stuff outside, far from the EPA jurisdiction. This is just another nail in the coffin.

Also, this liquid cooled thingy on the video looks half assed attempt at most (check comments on the kneeslider page for justification)

well, Harley, good riddance, you lost another customer...
Old 26th June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

There's another thread on this - in which I mentioned that I've got a bud who was working with Harley (as an engineer) a few years ago when they were rigourously testing these water-cooled head designs... yes, it's coming, but only Harley knows for sure when.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

As a side note these should give better or more even cooling allowing for some additional horsepower, heaven forbid we should get more of that!
Old 26th June 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
water-cooled head designs... yes, it's coming
Our tax dollars at work helping us.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 26th June 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 79 Ironhead
spdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the rough

just one more thing to vibrate loose and/or break and cost us more $ to fix........ viva la ironheads !!!
Old 26th June 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
twotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krono View Post
glad then that I have a older bike, would never buy a V-Rod ... this is the end of the brand for me... if I wanted something like the V-Rod, I would go to a japanese brand

Harley should lobby this, or pull out of the country and start making stuff outside, far from the EPA jurisdiction. This is just another nail in the coffin.

Also, this liquid cooled thingy on the video looks half assed attempt at most (check comments on the kneeslider page for justification)

well, Harley, good riddance, you lost another customer...
It's gonna happen whether anyone likes it or not and HD wouldn't be able to do a thing about it since the EPA has become so stringent on emissions. Nor would it matter if HD went elsewhere just to make their bikes since EPA would still say that they MUST comply with EPA emissions requirements, or their bikes won't be sold within the states.
Old 29th June 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

If done right with quality parts and it doesn't fluff up the MSRP too much I'm all for it.
Wouldn't liquid looling make the engine last longer? Plus you get a temp guage
Liquid cooling is a very simple system so I don't see how it would add much complexity. If you can work on the cooling system in a 69 Chevelle you can work on the cooling system on a bike. I've had a few older bikes with radiators and they never gave me a problem.
Think about it, the engine would warm up better when it's cold and cool off better when it's hot.
It seems to me the only down side is it could look ugly and THAT's the biggest challenge.
Know Thy Hog