The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Licks Cycles
Hammer Performance
Hammer Performance
Get Lowered

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

The AMF bikes were still called Harley Davidson.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 8th October 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of light

have no fear of the amf. amf actually helped hd in that they now cleaned up the way they put them together and introduced assy line mfg. before this, hd was still putting on weldments that go way back but were not being used anymore and such. the use of jap parts came and actually were better in a lot of ways but not appreciated back in those days. now, it is the chinese parts that are worrisome. my amf went 150k on the clock before unleaded fuel took its toll but after a little tlc, it is still going hotter than original. i do like the 69 900 for its looks and my k model was interesting but was a constant wrenching project and rode harsh with little performance but it was a hd.
Old 8th October 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough

My 75 XLCH works wonderfully and I love the fact that it still has the big AMF logo on the tank.

I had a 1975 XLCH about 32 years ago too and had absolutely no trouble with it in the three seasons I owned it.
Old 8th October 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough

out of all the ironheads ive seen 98% have been "amf" harleys...

the real difference between a "harley davidon" and an "AMF/Harley davidson" is the AMF. label...

find what you like and buy it.
Old 8th October 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCR
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati 900ss
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
cafe carl is on a distinguished roadcafe carl is on a distinguished road

Lets not forget what was happening with the rest of the MC market at the time. The Asian invasion was on. Cheaper, more powerful bikes were eating HD's market share and in the mid 70's the Japanese companys went into the cruiser thing whole hog. It was called dumping. Japanese bikes were being vastly overproduced and dealers would commonly sell leftover bikes at even lower prices. This is what Harley and AMF were dealing with and I for one am glad they kept the doors open in crappy times. I've never regreted buying mine for a red minute.

Old 8th October 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs_nate View Post
I have plans to buy an Ironhead. ... But what about a 1981 ironhead that was a Harley instead of an AMF..Any differences in engines with AMF opposed to Harley? What was the differences between AMF and Harley ironheads, if any? ...
I am guessing that you are asking this question because you have heard some of the traditional stories, urban myths, etc about Harley Davidson motorcycles produced while the company was owned by American Machine and Foundry.

Well, most of what you may have heard is either just urban myth or, if true, well, it may have been true 3 or 4 decades ago but it is completely irrelevant now.

A lot of guys seem to get their joy out of passing on negative stuff; it builds them up when they put someone else [AMF] down. A lot of this has gone on. You can safely ignore any of the emotionally and psychologically unhealthy dudes who continue to pass on this trash.
Old 8th October 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh ironhead
jc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nice

The amf years-
Negatives- more than doubled production in just 2 years after purchase led to overworked veteran employees and newly hired "rookie" employees equaled lesser quality.
-amf had a history of buying into new and unfamilier markets, but had the money to keep doing so.
Positives- amf saved Harley from being bought by bangor punta, a liquidator company that offered Harley 1 million more than amf.
-softail was patented under amf ownership(I thank a pretty big deal.)
-NOVA program kicked off and porsche hired to design the motor(now know as the VROD).

amf knew how to make money, not so much how to make bikes. The two big concerns with amf bikes are tolerances(which leads to oil leakage) and quality of the build. Tolerances are what they are and bottom line its going to leak a little oil. Secondly, the build- that bike has most like been rebuilt more than once. So the sloppy work of the stressed employees is no longer. The design is overall good I think. I agree with the guy that said the last amf bike off the line was junk, and the first true Harley bike was pure gold. In my limited experience previous owners are a bigger "what to watch" than what year. And sorry to ramble, I love reading about Harley history almost as much as riding and wrenching. 1979xlh right on, find what you like and buy it!
Old 8th October 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
ratt2y is on a distinguished roadratt2y is on a distinguished road

the thing i like about my 1976 sportster is you can do a little up grades and kick the ever liven pis out of the new harleys.buy the bike for $2000 put $2000 into it and smoke $45,000 harleys....O yes but they still have the sound we made famus. I seen a u-tube of a v-rod 30sec.to 130mph. I would race him for $1000. 0-135 mph.jc1753hughes harley are not junk they are what they are.100 year old tech. with up grades thats why a 1976 will smoke them.how the hell did i get sucked into this?.,.,,.,,.just ride,.,.,.have fun.,.and let the jc of this world think what they well good luck Bro.
Old 8th October 2011
Endeavoring to Persevere

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud of

Back in 1972, which was a cross over year, just check the parts manuals, the goal of AMF was to cheapen the cost without regard for quality started. Foreign parts started to be used when foreign parts weren't of good quality. The basic platform remained, but ALL the add ons were changed eventually leading to dependability probs. Doesn't mean they couldn't run reliably, just more prone to mishaps. Remember, HD almost went out of business in early 80's! Slow rode back, but they are much better today because of it. Just my thoughts
Old 8th October 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh ironhead
jc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratt2y View Post
the thing i like about my 1976 sportster is you can do a little up grades and kick the ever liven pis out of the new harleys.buy the bike for $2000 put $2000 into it and smoke $45,000 harleys....O yes but they still have the sound we made famus. I seen a u-tube of a v-rod 30sec.to 130mph. I would race him for $1000. 0-135 mph.jc1753hughes harley are not junk they are what they are.100 year old tech. with up grades thats why a 1976 will smoke them.how the hell did i get sucked into this?.,.,,.,,.just ride,.,.,.have fun.,.and let the jc of this world think what they well good luck Bro.
Not junk. I agree with what donw said on page one. Forgot an lol in there. I wouldn't race no VROD though.
Know Thy Hog