The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Foxcreek Leather
Figure Machine
Licks Cycles
883 Sportster

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C 105th Anniversary
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
SNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura aboutSNMbass has a spectacular aura about
Default Does Your EFI 1200 Do The Herky Jerk With Throttle Just Barely Cracked?

Does your bike do this too?

Conditions: Any gear, but for example, 2nd gear, about 2,000 rpm and holding (throttle just barely open)

Symptom: frequent but not cyclical "stumbles" - i.e. feels like fuel or ignition just cut off for a tenth of a second then came back on.

Get above about 2,200 rpm and it stops.

I've had this issue since new. 3 different dealers have said it's "normal" for EFI Sporties. I'm starting to believe it's true.

I've tried to tune it out using the SEPST with no luck. Ultimately gave in to dealers' suggestions to dyno-tune. Still does it. The guy who actually runs the dyno says can't get rid of it - it's the nature of the beast for EFI Sportsters, which seem to use less sophisticated programming than Big Twin EFI.
Old 19th October 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
gchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nice

My 07 1200C stumbles as well. Been tweaking my cobra module trying to get rid of it for months, but nothing has helped. Good luck..
Old 19th October 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N vivid black
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883N candy orange
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: Xl1200N RIP
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
SpaceAce will become famous soon enoughSpaceAce will become famous soon enoughSpaceAce will become famous soon enoughSpaceAce will become famous soon enoughSpaceAce will become famous soon enoughSpaceAce will become famous soon enough

look into the dynojet powervision it fixed the problem you are talking about plus no need to go to dyno shop you have it right on your bike. you can tweak everything plus you can read and clear check engine or stored codes. well worth the money

Last edited by SpaceAce; 19th October 2011 at 20:27.. Reason: kant spel
Old 19th October 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R SOLD
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Old Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to allOld Goat Ninja is a name known to all

Just an FYI, 2000rpm is lugging the engine and will cause "herky jerky". Get those rpm's up. A carbed (like mine) will do the same thing at a steady 2000rpm. It's not good for these motors. You're actually hurting the engine at constant 2000rpm.
Old 19th October 2011
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Its Black and shiny
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAce View Post
look into the dynojet powervision it fixed the problem you are talking about plus no need to go to dyno shop you have it right on your bike. you can tweak everything plus you can read and clear check engine or stored codes. well worth the money
Was just going to post the same thing..my bike no longer does it.....even down to about 1500 RPM its still steady
The dealer calling it normal just mean its normal for the EPA tune that the bikes come with..I'm surprised your dyno guy could not tune it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starleak View Post
Just an FYI, 2000rpm is lugging the engine and will cause "herky jerky". Get those rpm's up. A carbed (like mine) will do the same thing at a steady 2000rpm. It's not good for these motors. You're actually hurting the engine at constant 2000rpm.
Yes, but if your in traffic in 1st gear and just barely moving, you have no choice but to run at that RPM.....sure you could fan the clutch, but with a proper running bike, you don't need to do that.

and at 2000 RPM your not lugging the engine unless your trying to quickly accelerate in the wrong gear ....my bike pulls just fine from 2000 RPM in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear ..4th or 5th and it will lug
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th October 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883 SOLD
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
lfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud of

Mine does it too, lean fueling to pass emission tests, EPA and CE requirements.
Old 19th October 2011
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

FWIW mine fine.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 19th October 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNMbass View Post
Does your bike do this too?

Conditions: Any gear, but for example, 2nd gear, about 2,000 rpm and holding (throttle just barely open)

Symptom: frequent but not cyclical "stumbles" - i.e. feels like fuel or ignition just cut off for a tenth of a second then came back on.

Get above about 2,200 rpm and it stops.

I've had this issue since new. 3 different dealers have said it's "normal" for EFI Sporties. I'm starting to believe it's true.

I've tried to tune it out using the SEPST with no luck. Ultimately gave in to dealers' suggestions to dyno-tune. Still does it. The guy who actually runs the dyno says can't get rid of it - it's the nature of the beast for EFI Sportsters, which seem to use less sophisticated programming than Big Twin EFI.

See the "Stumble on Cold Start-up" sticky fourth from the bottom on the main page.

I've tried to tune it out using the SEPST with no luck. Ultimately gave in to dealers' suggestions to dyno-tune. Still does it. The guy who actually runs the dyno says can't get rid of it - it's the nature of the beast for EFI Sportsters, which seem to use less sophisticated programming than Big Twin EFI.[/QUOTE]

Big twins don't use a more sophisticated program, in fact it's basically the same with just a few more features. The stumble can be tuned out, mine was with a SERT.
Old 19th October 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C (Gone)
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FJR1300A
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
Teehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant future

No stumbles here...
Old 19th October 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

It just needs tuning. The problem is you bought a tuner that needs a $25000 dyno and a guy that understands what he is looking at.

Beast
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***
Know Thy Hog