The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Car Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Car Talk Believe it or not sometime we like to talk about our cars and/or their problems. Post any car related item here.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
Foxcreek Leather
Fix My Hog

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can anyone confirm if Motorcraft spark plugs are still made in U.S.A.?

Can anyone who recently bought Motorcraft plugs confirm if they are still made in the USA?
I still think NGK are the best made plugs in the world but I am trying to buy more US products. I almost bought a set of Autolites today but upon inspection of the package I saw they are now made in China.
I'll take Japanese or Mexico IF I can't get USA but China is an absolute no-go with me.
I can't think of any other possible U.S. Brands of plugs besides AC Delco and Champion. I'm not a fan of Champion.
Old 24th December 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 79
Likemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyess333 View Post
Can anyone who recently bought Motorcraft plugs confirm if they are still made in the USA?
I still think NGK are the best made plugs in the world but I am trying to buy more US products. I almost bought a set of Autolites today but upon inspection of the package I saw they are now made in China.
I'll take Japanese or Mexico IF I can't get USA but China is an absolute no-go with me.
I can't think of any other possible U.S. Brands of plugs besides AC Delco and Champion. I'm not a fan of Champion.
i don't think so. hardly anything is made here anymore. being an auto tech for 25 years i would not put a champiom in anything other than a dodge. i have always run autolite or ac delco in all my vehicles that are american made and ngk in all the metrics cars and bikes. having tryed them all NGK is top shelf IMO

http://i43.tinypic.com/33uvl1i.jpg
Old 24th December 2011

jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likemlouder View Post
i don't think so. hardly anything is made here anymore. being an auto tech for 25 years i would not put a champiom in anything other than a dodge. i have always run autolite or ac delco in all my vehicles that are american made and ngk in all the metrics cars and bikes. having tryed them all NGK is top shelf IMO
Yep, that matches what I've done except put Champions in Dodge. I used to run Autolites in my 60's and 70's Mopars.
I always ran NGK in metric cars and bikes.

I have an old metric car that I'm trying to turn American one part at a time
Seriously though, I'm trying to stay away from all things Chinese and go USA wherever possible.
Old 24th December 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
DG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to all

I've always ASSumed that motorcrafts were just re-baged Champions. Was i wrong for thinking this?
The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. Good luck!
Old 24th December 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C Chopper
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 79
Likemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that matches what I've done except put Champions in Dodge. I used to run Autolites in my 60's and 70's Mopars.
I always ran NGK in metric cars and bikes

nevre put em in my muscle cars always ran autolite in all my Mopars too
But they came stock in the dodges and were able to leave the showroom with em

i heart you but buying american is getting to be a real problem all the ac delco stuff is made somewhere else. it had gotten so bad before i closed my buisness. i was having to run aftermarket to get a good part . and i always prided myself on using genuine factory parts. they just ain't genuine anymore
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th December 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: '07
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Quay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately, some American made products are crap, preying on "made in America" loyalty. Where I work (Naval shipyard) we have a lot of issues with bearing failures in electric motors. We are forbidden to buy foreign bearings such as NTN, so we scrap about 10% or more of our bearings when they are put on the bearing tester, and another 5% fail during operational testing. The U.S. suppliers are counting on foreign restrictions. To my knowledge, not a single NTN has ever failed to pass it's testing in the past 20+ years.
Old 24th December 2011
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Other Motorcycle Model: 02 SV gone but not forgot
ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I believe Motorcraft spark plugs are made by Autolite. I think the story goes like this: Ford sold Autolite, Allied bought Autolite. Motorcraft plugs may be made by them but they have different specs. Used to be made in the US. God knows where they are made now.

NKG a Japanese company makes some in the US.

Champions made in South Carolina ?

I run Champions. They seem to work fine.

I used to keep up with this kind of stuff when I traded stocks pretty much on a daily basis. These days I don't care.

Ozark
Old 24th December 2011

I looked at a set of Motorcaft plugs today and they said made in Mexico.
Looks like I'm going with the NGK plugs.
I did find set of USA made plug wires at Orieleys auto Parts.
The Brand on the box is Omni Spark and it has the flag and "made in USA" on the outside of the box.

I hear you Quay that Made in USA does not automatically mean quality.
Anyone who's lived through the 70's knows what I'm talking about.
That said I don't want to give up and I want to at least try to support US products.
We can't afford NOT to try.
Once an american brand goes overseas it doesn't come back.
Old 24th December 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Sport XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Fatboy 1450 FLSTFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki KDX125sr
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
Big-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to all

NGK makes sparkplugs in the US & Japan:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/About_n...x.asp?mode=nml
1998 XL1200S - Harley 2-1 fitted with V&H SS2R, SE race ignition (7500rpm) with matched SE coil, SE yellow leads, NGK Iridium spark plugs, NRHS HurricaneFlow 3" centre hamcan filter, usual 'S' engine internals (w-grind cams, flat top pistons & 10:1 higher comp twin plug heads), SE heavier clutch spring. Soon to have SE 42mm hsr mikuni carb..
Old 25th December 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I did find set of USA made plug wires at Orieleys auto Parts.
The Brand on the box is Omni Spark and it has the flag and "made in USA" on the outside of the box.

The box was made in the USA................

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Know Thy Hog