The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Figure Machine
Foxcreek Leather

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
RigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura about
Default RigidIronheads Hardtail Build

First I would like to introduce myself, as I am pretty new to the boards. Im Mark and Im from south central Wisconsin. This is actually my first Harley.. I came from the world of drag bike Hayabusas'.

Well a little about the bike..I picked up my 85' Sportster after finding it on craigslist out of the Chicago area. After my brother talking me into doing a hardtail sporty.. as he was going to help me with the build.. Ha.. I dont think hes helped me yet.

Something about the way the look the Ironhead has, and the way it looks in a rigid I had to have it. So I picked it up and instantly went to work chopping it up.. Ive never even road the bike.. My brother was the only one crazy enough to test it out when I first picked it up.. Need I remind you this was in the winter.. so small ice, and snow patched roads were his testing spot.. Thankfully he didnt crash it and it road.. shifted.. and ran great! So back to Wisconsin i get it.. where i take no time to start taking it down to the bare frame..

After researching and talking with Seth @ Road 6 Customs.. I went with his hardtail kit.. The craftsmenship was excellent and top notch when i recieved the hard tail, tank, and battery holder. The customer service has been outstanding with Road 6 as well.. Seth has some great pointers to make things go smoothly and turn out correct and lined up.

Lets see some pics right? Bare with me as this is my first ever build thread.. Im going to put them in a somewhat order.

Already started with disassembly.

Yeah tough guy here thought it wouldnt be so bad lifting it out alone...

Right Before bandsawing

Someones previous fix for a broken engine mount tab! NICE!

If you can include your pops into the build.. even better! I can weld, but not like my dad!
You cant see them here.. but inserts were turned in the lathe to really give some support in the frame tubes.. (these werent just butt welded)

A lift is always a huge help! Luckly my dad built a custom before me.. so i have access to some nice tools.. and... a lift!

pops spent a lot of time with the welding to make sure everything flowed really nice and looks as if it were from a factory.. as you can tell with the battery box and such he welded and filled.

As you can see in the pics above this was a start of the process.
Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

RigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura aboutRigidIronhead has a spectacular aura about

I am missing a lot of the inbetween pics.. sometimes you just get caught up and forget all about the camera..
The next set of pics are with the engine back in and parts being fitted.

Alot will be changed like the tires for a set of speedmasters

As well as the paint on the tank.. This was how the tank was painted when i purchased the bike..

Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

Going to start the wiring dissection. Hopefully get the wire count... way down
Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

saved for future
Old 14th January 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: 883 low
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
dragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura about

looking good so far i like cobra too is it a kit cobra or a real cobra

Old 14th January 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Looks like you're having fun.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonreapersrc View Post
looking good so far i like cobra too is it a kit cobra or a real cobra
Built by superperformance. Not a turd kit car with some mustang suspension. Lol. I wish it were real.. that's my pops toy. Also for sale!
Old 14th January 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: 883 low
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
dragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura aboutdragonreapersrc has a spectacular aura about

ya i bet i was wondering because my uncle has a real on there fun but any way nice work on the ironhead her preaty soon ill have mine on here i have a 75 ironhead
Old 14th January 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonreapersrc View Post
ya i bet i was wondering because my uncle has a real on there fun but any way nice work on the ironhead her preaty soon ill have mine on here i have a 75 ironhead
I appreciate it.. I look forward to seeing yours!
Old 17th January 2012
Know It All

On to some wiring
Know Thy Hog