The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Licks Cycles
Superbrace
Motor Stage

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
K Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enough
Default 15-1 thru 15-4 cams

Anyone know what kind of cams these are? They look like a Sportster cams but I can't find information on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300654755701...84.m1439.l2648
Old 23rd March 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Sport XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Fatboy 1450 FLSTFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki KDX125sr
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
Big-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Beggs View Post
Anyone know what kind of cams these are? They look like a Sportster cams but I can't find information on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300654755701...84.m1439.l2648
They are sold now, but think that they were/are the SE bolt-ins aka SE.497's
1998 XL1200S - Harley 2-1 fitted with V&H SS2R, SE race ignition (7500rpm) with matched SE coil, SE yellow leads, NGK Iridium spark plugs, NRHS HurricaneFlow 3" centre hamcan filter, usual 'S' engine internals (w-grind cams, flat top pistons & 10:1 higher comp twin plug heads), SE heavier clutch spring. Soon to have SE 42mm hsr mikuni carb..
Old 23rd March 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Yes, many of the SE bolt-ins are marked 15-1/2/3/4. But some are marked 1B/2B/3B/4B

Old 23rd March 2012
Know It All

K Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enoughK Beggs will become famous soon enough

Cool, I went ahead and bought them. Figuring that if nothing else they'd make great paperweights.

ASWRacing,
I read your article on Cam Drive Gear Swapping, I have an 01 model and they look to like they came from a 99 and older... yes? Also, looking at the pics, are they overheated based on the discolorization of cams 2 and 3? Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Yes, those are 91-99 cams and yes, someone spun their bushings in the right case half, and yes, it looks like some of the gears got really hot.

Your first challenge will be to get those cam bushings off. I've seen those things seize really badly. Assuming you can get them off, try to clean the journals by clamping the other end into a lathe. Use fine emery cloth working down to scotchbrite until they're shiny again. I've done it and got them to work again.

Hopefully the teeth on those aren't brittle and prone to breakage, but I have no way of knowing.

Yes, to put that set in a 2000-up you can swap the drive gear, either that or get a new pinion gear. Swapping the drive gear is definitely cheaper.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd March 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

Do you really want to risk damaging your expensive engine so you can use a cheap set of cams? Those cams are just a disaster waiting to happen IMO.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 23rd March 2012
Know It All

Nope, they sure will make good paperweights though.
Old 23rd March 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

glad you saw the light.
Old 24th March 2012
Know It All

Yea, like i said. They would've either worked or made great paper weights. For $37 it was worth a shot, but not enough to trash my motor.
Old 5th September 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883/1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
markncarj1 is on a distinguished roadmarkncarj1 is on a distinguished road

So i am reviving this thread. i got some 15-/15-4 buell cams and i have a 2002 sportster. i need to change the drive gear. in the instructions mentioned above it says on the gear there is a v or an o. I think the ones i have have a v on them. also how does someone know the gear i in the right place to begin with? they have been marked so i am worried the drive gear could be in the wrong place to begin with
Know Thy Hog