The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 3  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Lickscycles
Zippers Performance
NRHS Performance Long 2
Speedway Instruments

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: '12
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: '14
modular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to all

A lot of people use Nightrider XiED's (or X14iED's) with great success (me included) when doing the Stage 1 (exhaust/intake mods).
Old 28th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
chriselgui is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright then, after i get the intake i'll get a tune. I think that im going to go with the K&N unless something else catches my eye before i buy it.
Old 28th March 2012
Biker

Ok so, new question. A tune up, how much would it cost and would i be able to do it myself, I know how to do minor things but havent ever attempted major engine work.
Old 28th March 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

modular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to allmodular is a name known to all

A tune up....as in new plugs, fluids change and look-over/minor adjustments of the bike? How many miles are on the bike? Do you know any of the past service history? Are you taking it to the dealer for this?
Old 28th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Depends on what you're gonna do - it isnt really any major engine work. Like modular said you can use the x14ieds, those kind of trick the 02 sensors, I do not know the cost of those. Or my recommendation would be to get either a PowerVision or TTS Mastertune. These units allow you to reprogram your ECM yourself with any changes you make now or down the road. The TTS is around 400 bucks, the PowerVision is a little more. You basically just have to ride the bike and it makes the adjustments for you - with the TTS you ride with a laptop attached (like in backpack or something) the PowerVision has a smaller display making it easier to ride with. There is TONS of info on tuning on this site if you're curious.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by modular View Post
A tune up....as in new plugs, fluids change and look-over/minor adjustments of the bike? How many miles are on the bike? Do you know any of the past service history? Are you taking it to the dealer for this?
Modular - I think he was referring to the re-tune/tuning as a tune-up.

Edit - just re-read and I could be wrong, he was talking about a tune but then said he would get one..... we'll see what he meant.
Old 28th March 2012
Biker

yeah retune/tuning, sorry. New to all this.
Old 28th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Yeah if you were just referring to tuning then my answer is above, if you have any questions someone here will surely have the answer.
Old 28th March 2012
Biker

will do, thanks.
Old 28th March 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

XiED's are anywhere from $99/pair to $159.99 depending on what you get.

Link for info:

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/
Know Thy Hog