The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Car Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Car Talk Believe it or not sometime we like to talk about our cars and/or their problems. Post any car related item here.

Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (60), johnboy (45), bmonty72 (42), superscythe (41), grahamc (29)
NHRS Performance
Figure Machine
Speedway Instruments
NHRS Performance

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
erbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud of
Default Chrysler Clunk

Sorry, this could get a little lengthy to be clear.

On my 2003 Concorde, I've had a distinct clunk in the front passenger side wheel/suspension area for a while. It occurs under cornering or straight line braking. I've read where it could be a number of things from control arm bushings to coil over mount bushings. I never really understood how it could be suspension with it happening in straight line, but what do I know. Now over lunch I pulled the tire to check the brake pads. I decided after getting the wheel off that I would check the bearings by wiggling the hub. Grabbed the rotor to do that, and while the hub was nice and solid, the rotor moved out about 1/4 inch on the back side opposite the caliper. Now I know I've got to replace it, but that leads to my questions. How hard is it to get the rotor pressed on, and could that solve my clunk?

Thanks

Adam
Old 1st April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
aemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant future

that rotor isn't pressed on and it is fine that it moved like that. Is the noise a reaction to suspension movement, like hitting a pothole or going over a bump?
Old 1st April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

erbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemsee View Post
that rotor isn't pressed on and it is fine that it moved like that. Is the noise a reaction to suspension movement, like hitting a pothole or going over a bump?
Yeah, found that out about the rotor. Thanks though. Glad that I don't have to replace it, but still concerned about the clunk. I'm pretty sure now that it's suspension related. I've been told that the sway bar links have a tendency to go bad on these, and it could be that. The only problem is that I'm not sure how to check it, and I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. I've also heard it could be any number of bushings including one on the coil over mount. Guess I'm going to just have to suck it up and pay someone to take a look at it. Really wish I was back home. Pretty sure I could get it looked at for a little bit of nothing. Maybe I can wait until next weekend since we're heading back that way for Easter.
Old 1st April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
aemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant futureaemsee has a brilliant future

do you know what the sway bar links are? If you do you can reach past the wheel and tug on them to see if they move. Usually when they are bad they will rattle back and forth by hand. These cars are also known for tie rod ends rattling
Old 1st April 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemsee View Post
do you know what the sway bar links are? If you do you can reach past the wheel and tug on them to see if they move. Usually when they are bad they will rattle back and forth by hand. These cars are also known for tie rod ends rattling
I agree, and he can jack that wheel off the floor and while he is looking under it he can have someone else move the wheel around back and fourth, top to bottom, etc. Also a pry bar under the jacked up wheel may be able to reproduce the noise and he can look while a buddy does that part. (Best to put a solid jack stand under that side while he does it though).

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Know Thy Hog

Old 1st April 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

A couple things.... first you may not find worn suspension part lying on your back...weight of the vehicle will keep some components loaded and you wont be able to see it. Also some shops may check your car for free or small charge with hopes of getting the repair. Someone may check and let you know what youproblem is.

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 2nd April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm pretty sure I know what the sway bar link is, so I'll give a couple of those checks a try, and if not, I'll find some place that can a look at it.
Old 4th April 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
DG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to all

The inner tie-rod ends on those cars are notorious for going bad....really bad. It's actually not a tie rod, but a rubber bushing, and when it wears it allows a ton of slop. It also allows all sorts of shimmy/wobble/wander problems. It's not too hard to fix....actually easier then conventional tie rods IMO.

Read: http://www.allpar.com/fix/intrepid-steering.html

Don't know if this is really your problem, but when i hear of clunks on these cars, this is the first thing i check. As mentioned, the sway bar links also wear.
The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. Good luck!
Old 4th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Sportster View Post
The inner tie-rod ends on those cars are notorious for going bad....really bad. It's actually not a tie rod, but a rubber bushing, and when it wears it allows a ton of slop. It also allows all sorts of shimmy/wobble/wonder problems. It's not too hard to fix....actually easier then conventional tie rods IMO.

Read: http://www.allpar.com/fix/intrepid-steering.html

Don't know if this is really your problem, but when i hear of clunks on these cars, this is the first thing i check. As mentioned, the sway bar bushings also wear.
Tie-rod ends/etc, are on the short list of things to check, but it's not at the top since I don't have any of the shimmy/wobble/wonder issues as of yet. I'm hoping it's not anything that will also involve getting an alignment done.
Old 4th April 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
cotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nice

Right, jack the car up and get a large crowbar. You then can put pressure on the parts and check for play. Check ball joints also just to make sure before you buy parts. The other guys are probably steering you in the right direction already.