The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Licks Holiday
Energy One Clutches
883 Sportster
Foxcreek Leather

Don's Cyclewear

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Carb size depends what you are looking for.
When calculating throat size on my 77 CI XR, for all out HP throat size was something like 52mm per cyl.
Seems outrageous, but individual runner engines require more carb.
I'm not looking for topend power, I don't rev over 6000, I have run dual 40mm cv's and 38mm mikunis.
I don't recommend the cv's for individual runner applications.
Although they work fine after 2000 rpm, I found the vacuum slides did not work well at lower rpm's.

There's more details below.
Here's a link to my Sputhe XR:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1151857

Dyno thread:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1194750
Old 6th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

ferrous head,does that sidehack racer have a,reverser? [im looking at the clutch release area on the cam cover]
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 7th April 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Cut down engine, it's got an AMC/Norton/Matchless/AJS gearbox...
Old 7th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Ferrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of light

He's running a non unit construction gearbox. Yup, heard me right. Bruce cut off the gearbox section of the engine, welded it up and added a TT Industries gearbox. It gives him the option of running 5 or 6 speed gearboxes plus those gearboxes will handle over 160HP with no problems whatsoever. Of course for $6,000 you want a pretty good gearbox.

The new Amals inlcude a MK2 Smoothbore version ()What Bruce is running) and they do an alcohol conversion. Sizing carbs isn't that hard, it's actually understanding (or admitting to) the kind of use your engine REALLY sees. If your going to run it on the street about the worst thing you can do is over-carburate. Makes the bike hard to start and hard to ride. Not what your after on the street. I have 2 different carbs for my Ducati, a 36 and a 38mm Amal. The 36 is for the shorter twisty tracks and the 38 is for places like Phillip Island or Eastern Creek with very long fast sections. But if I was riding it on the street it would go down to 32mm.
Old 7th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Enfield
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
RGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the rough

stock xr runs 36mm, for a hot setup I would think some flat side mikuni 38's, though I hate the way they look(I have one on my other bike)
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Ferrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a quick way to do it. Just add cash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Panst...a83373&vxp=mtr
Old 9th April 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FLH Shovelhead
waza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura about

Have you considered Del Ortos, as run on the older bevel Drive Ducati? They are available (new) in 32 to 40mm at bevelheaven. Mine (shown) were 32's that I bored to 36.5mm. What's nice is they run an accelerator pump and come in R & L versions
Old 10th April 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlcr
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Hardon sporty/norton hybr
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1952
waiteitei is an unknown quantity at this point

have ordered 2 36mm mikunis

thanks for the wealth of infromation
Old 10th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
before the thing will even run,you need to change the cam timing,on the rear cylinder,because the intake and exhaust valve locations ,are now reversed. its not a,simple swap.normally 2,front heads are used.
A rear cylinder head reversed on the front puts the valves in the same order.
The rocker box can easily be turned around so the pushrods stay on the right side.
One carb on each side, right side facing forward, left side facing back.
Old 11th April 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FLH Shovelhead
waza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
A rear cylinder head reversed on the front puts the valves in the same order.
The rocker box can easily be turned around so the pushrods stay on the right side.
One carb on each side, right side facing forward, left side facing back.
good to know, anyone have any pictures of this set up?
Know Thy Hog