The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
Zippers Performance
CV Performance
Dead Creek Cycles
Foxcreek Leather

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Grind~ View Post
I'm thinking about re-installing the stock lifters into the motor. From what I understand, the JIMS lifters have an extra oil hole in them that may lower the oil pressure. If this is true, this may be contributing to the excessive noise in the valve train. When the motor is cold it's relatively quiet. When the oil gets hot and thin the motor gets pretty noisy. This condition may allow the plungers to bottom out. ? There is only one way to find out. But first I need to lengthen the anti-rotation flats on the stock lifters to accommodate these RS-585 cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan on doing the same thing, just based off of bad reviews I've read about JIMS powerglide lifters

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 xl sportster custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 low sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

grind i don't think that the oil hole bleed off is the problem if any thing its a good thing, if you valve get louder when hot you push rods aren't long enough take the covers of the top i know its a lot of work and measure the lift with a dial indicator and make sure you are getting max lift any time you change cams and lifter you should do this.
Old 18th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where you are coming from Bob, I just don't see the point when using hydraulic lifters. However, there is a good chance I'm missing something. Anyways, I did remove the rocker covers and rocker boxes. I had already clearanced the pushrod side of the covers and didn't see any sign of abrasion upon inspection of both sides of the covers. I spot checked the gap between the head and the rocker box/gasket with a dial caliper. The dimension on both heads was well within the specs described in the tech article on the Hammer Performance website. I did find another one of my screw-ups on the front rocker box though. I found some slight abrasion where the exhaust valve spring was rubbing the rocker box. I thought I had given the springs plenty of clearance... evidently not. So I got out the die grinder and fixed it. The rear box was fine. I then put it all back together and took it for a 20 mile ride. It was still noisy as ever when I got back so this Friday I'm going to install the modified stock lifters and give them a go.

Wedge's Father....
Old 18th July 2012

Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

the reason im telling you not to you wont get what you want by going backwards measure your lift on your rocker i think your push rods are to short you must measure your lift to see if your getting wear you need to be it easy and can save time and money measure your lift and times it buy 1.652 should give you your lift if you do not come up with that numer on you cam card your to short or to long and that will make your valve train very noiesy.
Old 18th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Bob, I do have the indicators. Where on the rocker is the best place to take the measurement?
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th July 2012
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant future

Hey Scott, how long are your pushrods? Here's the ones I got with my package from Hammer:

Lenster's 1250 2006 XL1250C, Hammer Crush Heads, S&S Roller Rockers, Fixed Length Pushrods, Jim's Powerglide II Hydraulic Lifters, RedShift 585 Cams, Hammer Performance Billet Intake Manifold, Mikuni HSR 45, Offset Crush AC, RB Racing LSR 2:1 Exhaust and a Daytona Twin Tec TC88A with a Kickass Map by Rico 05R.

Old 18th July 2012

if you can at the tip of the rocker is the best spot buy if not go wear the ball fits in your rocker and measure from there its going to be a pain to do, but if i could put my hand on any thing i would check this first i think they are a little to short which is good and bad good if its the problem bad you wont have full power yet .
Old 18th July 2012

i just checked my cams in my lath i have a reading on the intake side and theys are 585 red shift cams my reading was .365 times that buy 1.62= .05913 now on my cam card it sayed i get a advertized .583 lift which id say is pritty close my other intake is the same my exhaust read .360 times 1.62 = 583.2 so if you come up with theys number id say your good to go.

Last edited by Bob s hog; 18th July 2012 at 15:07.. Reason: cuzza
Old 18th July 2012

all right i just measured all my the numbers look like this

is what iv got for numbers.
Old 18th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Ok, Thanks Bob. I will check it out as soon as I get time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Know Thy Hog