The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Motor Stage
Lickscycles
RYCA Motors
Get Lowered

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future
Default single digit daily driver street/strip fighter: step 4 - 82 inches

just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.....

i have been thinking and double thinking for the last 2 months whether helping a friend clean out his garage would be a good idea. let's see - 82" cast iron jugs, new coated and ported pistons, highly ported big bore buell heads... hmmmmm.... decisions decisions... but seriously, it really wasn't an easy decision to come to, but now that it has been made i am pretty excited.

add to this with the wicked crank job aaron and dan are finishing up right now consisting of carrillo rods, jim's pin, balanced, trued, welded and some secret sauce. getting the cases bored while they are up there as well.

while i am cutting my teeth on tuning the PFI/Turbo on the 74", i will be taking my time and building the 82" on the bench. no rushing. no mistakes.

this thread will pick up speed in the next week or so.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 29th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
mr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to behold

Uh.....

.....wow. Gonna be a real beast, innit?

-m
Old 29th April 2012
outside the box racing

bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

yall though i was playin?? i don't play.
Old 29th April 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
yall though i was playin?? i don't play.
So is this a "thrifty" build?
Sounds like what a real playas Sporty turbo should be built like.
How about the pistons? Anything special there?
Old 29th April 2012
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thrifty bank account too.. Good luck on your build(s)!
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th April 2012
outside the box racing

actually, there is quite a bit of thrift involved..

the 82" stuff, over the past year, i kept seeing it offered real cheap to people here but nobody bit. i guess i can understand that most people, if they are going to bore cases and go big, would want to do 88"-90". So the 82" stuff has a relatively limited resale value as it is really only interesting to a racer, someone shooting for salt perhaps, who has 1350cc engine size constraints.

1350 you say?

lemme check my target list real quick like....

AMA 1350 A-PBG
AMA 1350 A-PBF
AMA 1350 APS-PBG
AMA 1350 APS-PBF
SCTA 1350 A-PBG
SCTA 1350 A-PBF
SCTA 1350 APS-PBG
SCTA 1350 APS-PBF

so let's just say that i got real interested and the price was more than right. thrift and luck are definite factors here.

sporty, the pistons mentioned really are just for race applications. they have a thermal coating on the crown to help reflect/shed heat, anti-friction coating on the skirts and vertical gas ports drilled into the crown down to the rear of the top ring seat. gas pressure, especially in high pressure applications like a turbo , pushes the rings out against the cylinder wall improving seal and adding horsepower.

while i could very well run these around town it would be a waste. the coatings would be used up putting to the beer store and the gas ports would get plugged with carbon rendering them mere mortal pistons.

i suspect that i will drop these in just before i head out to bonneville.

in the meantime i will be running a new set of 'ordinary' pistons that are also in the goodie box (along with a bunch of other stuffs ).

thanks, xl, i am going to need all the luck and good wishes i can get.
Old 29th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

I can't wait to see Step 17!!
Old 29th April 2012
outside the box racing

step 17 will be posing for bonneville trophy photos standing behind a bike that still has 9 second ET paint on it from the last session at the drag strip
Old 29th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Sky: Best of luck to you, will be checking the Headlines from Bonneville!
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 2nd May 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Kot is on a distinguished roadKot is on a distinguished roadKot is on a distinguished road

Great project Bit !!!

I hope You will cross 1/4mile in 9.xx s