The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Superbrace
Progressive Suspension
Superbrace.com
Foxcreek Leather

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
If I remove the fuel line from the tank and put the petcock on reserve, should fuel flow out without putting vacuum to the smaller line?
I'm not sure about reserve. Put a clean tube on it and suck on it.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 29th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sporty B is on a distinguished roadSporty B is on a distinguished road

I took the petcock off and checked it. The fuel flows good with vacuum applied. I have checked the diaphragm, set the carb settings to the recommended settings per the jet kit, checked the plugs, fuel, no intake leaks. I am done. I will be calling my local dealer tomorrow to set up an appointment. Thanks to everyone who helped me.
Old 29th May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to allrick szymanski is a name known to all

a Really fast way to check if it's a lean condition, possibly cause by wrong float setting, or accelerator pump not working is to start the bike. Throttle up to where it starts running poorly, and spray carb cleaner into the air cleaner inlet. If it smooths out, then it obviously is a fuel issue. This is of course assuming that there are absolutely no vacuum leaks at the intake or around the carb base and all vacuum lines are good and hooked up properly. If the float isn't allowing enough fuel to be stored in the bowl, then it will try to run, but quickly turn to crap. without actually seeing the problem in person, its difficult to make the best suggestion, but this is what I would try. Likewise, if you suspect too much fuel to be a concern, create a vacuum leak to see if things improve. If so, then jetting could be an issue or float is set incorrectly.
Old 18th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
RustyNuts is on a distinguished roadRustyNuts is on a distinguished road

Did you get the issue fixed what was the issue?
Old 19th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNuts View Post
Did you get the issue fixed what was the issue?
I was also wondering. If it was solved ?

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

Old 19th June 2012
Freedom Lover

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

It's not because of an unvented(clogged or incorrect) gas cap, maybe?