The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
RYCA Motors
Biltwell
Biltwell
Motor Stage

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough
Default Big bang, detonation !

hey guys, finally i ve decided to start a thread.

the bike has started to misfire one week ago when hot. so we suspect a bad coil, but now it made big detonations. is it possible that detonations have their origin with bad coil ????
i have ordered a new coil today, a crane coil which would work well with my HI-4 crane module.

i have tested primary and secondary at the coil and both were between specs, but the coil was cold.
i tried to reinstall my old accel single fire which had problem 6 months ago, but was just misfiring, and now i had huge detonations and came back home after half mile...
i hope too that those detonations haven't damage my engine too
any ideas
thanks
tara
1986 frame - 1997 1200 engine stage 1.5 - N2 cams- single fire Accel - Crane hi 4 - big sucker - 23 T sprocket 48 T - Ohlins #3#3 13 1/4 - showa 35 mm Progressive spring - all brake system by Performance Machine second motor 86 4 speed 883conver 10.5 1200 V8 cams 1200 heads - tuned CV cards by killer motorcycle product -
Old 31st May 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
hey guys, finally i ve decided to start a thread.

the bike has started to misfire one week ago when hot. so we suspect a bad coil, but now it made big detonations. is it possible that detonations have their origin with bad coil ????
i have ordered a new coil today, a crane coil which would work well with my HI-4 crane module.

i have tested primary and secondary at the coil and both were between specs, but the coil was cold.
i tried to reinstall my old accel single fire which had problem 6 months ago, but was just misfiring, and now i had huge detonations and came back home after half mile...
i hope too that those detonations haven't damage my engine too
any ideas
thanks
tara
If I am thinking the right year, the 87 has a magnetic pickup right? Doesn't it also have that rotor with two slots cut into it? I saw recently in here where someone had a broken rotor, and also magnetic pickup's do go bad as well.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 31st May 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

are you sure you do not have a blown head gasket causing this?
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 31st May 2012
Flat Track Champion

tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
If I am thinking the right year, the 87 has a magnetic pickup right? Doesn't it also have that rotor with two slots cut into it? I saw recently in here where someone had a broken rotor, and also magnetic pickup's do go bad as well.
no, it is with my 1997 engine, not the older one
Old 31st May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRHS Sales View Post
are you sure you do not have a blown head gasket causing this?
Dan i will check that again, but as far as i know, i haven't noticed anything around the head gasket.
do you mean detonation cannot be caused by bad coil ?
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st May 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

If you have a blown head gasket or a bad intake leak it will cause your bike to go really lean which will cause terrible detonation. That is what it sounds like to me not a bad coil.
Old 31st May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRHS Sales View Post
If you have a blown head gasket or a bad intake leak it will cause your bike to go really lean which will cause terrible detonation. That is what it sounds like to me not a bad coil.
Dan
much too lean, hum...
will search in that direction
intake seals have been changed recently cos i had already some problems with misfiring, popping at the end of last year
thanks
Old 31st May 2012
Flat Track Champion

i have to precise, but i m sure you know already, those detonation happened under load only
Old 1st June 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
i have to precise, but i m sure you know already, those detonation happened under load only
And only when hot, which is contrary to a head gasket that should get tighter with heat. It is very much like the pick-up though to do something like that when hot, and I sure wouldn't overlook air leaks either, that is great advice.

I think the 97 is similar too with a pickup and a rotor.
Old 1st June 2012
Flat Track Champion

wedge, i made a test with my old single fire coil and remove the air filter. at idle it is ok, but when i open throttle i have spark coming out the carb, quite scary. it looks like kind of backfiring ???
Know Thy Hog