The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
DK Customs
DK Customs
Motor Stage
NRHS Performance Long 2

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S-awesome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

It looks/sounds like a typical carb back pop from a lean condition.
Although there is no heading for it, check out all the carb related issues on this link:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/c...leshooting.htm
Old 1st June 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
It looks/sounds like a typical carb back pop from a lean condition.
Although there is no heading for it, check out all the carb related issues on this link:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/c...leshooting.htm
+1, does sound like a lean condition. Could definitely be an air leak. Check your vac line to the petcock if it still has a vac petcock on it, and if not, check any plug on that port of the carb (my plug cracks and falls apart about every 6 months and it makes the bike sound just like this). Also do the usual tests like blowing propane around the intake mainfold with the bike idling. But also the carb could be just dirty, so if no leaks found, then take that carb apart and clean it good.

Since it ran good before, then there is no reason to look at jetting or tuning at all right now.

Still a bad pick-up for the ignition could do this, so you can't rule it out, but like sportsterdoc said it sure does sound like carb farts though.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 1st June 2012

sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

I am thinking along the same lines as Wedge: Vacuum leak is the first possibility to check
When the carb was put back into the rubber intake manifold was it first wetted (water, spit or whatever) so that it would slip in well?
Old 2nd June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I am thinking along the same lines as Wedge: Vacuum leak is the first possibility to check
When the carb was put back into the rubber intake manifold was it first wetted (water, spit or whatever) so that it would slip in well?
i always put oil with my finger on the intake seal for the carb to fit well
1986 frame - 1997 1200 engine stage 1.5 - N2 cams- single fire Accel - Crane hi 4 - big sucker - 23 T sprocket 48 T - Ohlins #3#3 13 1/4 - showa 35 mm Progressive spring - all brake system by Performance Machine second motor 86 4 speed 883conver 10.5 1200 V8 cams 1200 heads - tuned CV cards by killer motorcycle product -
Old 2nd June 2012

OK, so it was lubed when inserted. I prefer water, as it evaporates and leaves the carb snug, but I would not expect oil to be an issue.

Not ruling out your coil concerns, but still looking for lean, while you await a new coil.

I looked again at your video. Wish it were closer to the carb throat and stayed on the carb. Are you getting a squirt out of the accelerator pump? It was 88 that did not have a pump (just a rich needle), correct?...not 87?
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd June 2012
Flat Track Champion

tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
OK, so it was lubed when inserted. I prefer water, as it evaporates and leaves the carb snug, but I would not expect oil to be an issue.

Not ruling out your coil concerns, but still looking for lean, while you await a new coil.

I looked again at your video. Wish it were closer to the carb throat and stayed on the carb. Are you getting a squirt out of the accelerator pump? It was 88 that did not have a pump (just a rich needle), correct?...not 87?
it is an newer cV carb model with accelrator pump and yes it throw a good amount of gas when you open throttle.
tonight or tomorrow i will chech what s going on under the gas tank and let you know, thanks for your help
Old 2nd June 2012

You are welcome, but I have not yet really been of any help.
I should re-read the thread, again, but I am ready to sign off for the evening: I saw the slide lift some, but not know how much throttle was given for the diaphragm to react.
Is the diaphragm in good condition?
I am reaching here, as an unseated diaphragm would hiss from vacuum loss and not lift the slide at all.
Any vacuum lines on your bike? Is there a vacuum port for a vacuum operated petcock and the rubber cap cracked?
Old 2nd June 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud of

When you install your intake manifols, make sure the carb spigot is vertical. Don't try to move it after thightening. For lube I use a bit of grease or oil on the rubber. Lot of problem is solve by being carefull to position the spigot right.
Old 2nd June 2012
Flat Track Champion

took apart carb, it was clean as hell, change seals at the intake, reinstall everything, and it is still exactly the same, backfiring through the carb.
BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT !!!
Old 2nd June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
took apart carb, it was clean as hell, change seals at the intake, reinstall everything, and it is still exactly the same, backfiring through the carb.
BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT !!!
Sorry, but before you rule out the carb and go on to electrical, was there a vacuum port on the carb not covered?...and, if you hold WOT for 2 seconds, does the diaphragm fully lift the slide?
Know Thy Hog