The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
BIKE BUILDER
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all
Default Has anyone noticed worse handling with a wider front tire?

When I bought new tires a while back they were out of 80/90-21s, so I got a 90/90-21 front. I noticed it seems to be giving me feedback in curves. Not quite death wobble. If I take my hands off at 70mph the bike gos true, but I just feel something weird with the handling, esp in curves. I know others are running much fatter tires, but can fat tires cause poor handling?
I'm not sure if I want to buy another tire yet.
Old 4th June 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
yozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to behold

did they balance the wheels when they did it? or if spoked could have tweaked the the rim a little giving it a slight buckle?
Old 5th June 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
dwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nice

I'm very interested in this as I've been considering doing just the same thing. What brand did you go with?

As a possible solution what tire pressure are you running? I'd get it up to around 38 psi and see if that helps.
Old 5th June 2012

Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

OK, I went from a stock 80/90-21 Dunlop to a 90/90 Shinko 777. Others have said it's a good tire.
I'm running 30~ PSI. Just checkede it.
I think the feeling I'm trying to describe is like it wants to follow every little line in the road or something. Wich is more likely to do that, skinny or fat tires?
Old 5th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
axlespacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I run the 777 90/90 21" on my custom and love it! I think my handling improved dramatically. It takes much less input on the handlebars now to steer. I can steer with my weight now from the seat much easier.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud of

When I went from a 80/90 21 to a 90/90 21 on my solid mount,

The handling improved.

Run 36 psi in the front tire, it will handle better (maybe 37 with the heavier rubbermount)

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Old 5th June 2012

Strange thing with everybody telling me to run MORE pressure. I checked the tire the other day and it was at about 20psi, so I filled it to 31psi, then when I rode it, it was MUCH worse. I'll try 37~ and I'll try 20 again and see if I can dial it in.
Old 5th June 2012

I went and looked last night (with a flashlight) and the Shinko sidewall says max. inflation is 42psi WOW! So I put 42 in it. We'll see how it handles now. Unfortunately it's supposed to be raining here through the weekend :-(
Old 5th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883xlc Sportster 100year
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about03custom883 has a spectacular aura about

On my 03 i run 30 -31 up front is that too little? It handles and rides fine
Old 5th June 2012
HeWhoMakesThunder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
norseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond repute

Using a to wide tire on a narrow rim will make the tires profile more pointy and give a more nervouse feel.

Sir Harry R. Ricardo
Know Thy Hog