The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
DK Customs
S&S Cycle
Foxcreek Leather
Foxcreek Leather

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200 sporty
big andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to all
Default head specs

Well just got a set of heads back for a motor im doing.Had four guides four valve seat inserts .All new valves as well all supplied by me .Got charged 750 bucks for the work which I thought was a bit steep but tried twenty or so machine shops including major engine rebuilders.And this guy was the only one that said he can do them.He said he has done plenty of shovel and pan heads before so i left them with him. Well having paid for work before and it was done wrong I thought well im not going to take his word that they are good to go.Keep in mind that I gave him my shop manual so he had all the correct specs.Well got up this morning and went to the shed and pulled the rear exhaust valve out to check the specs and guess what it aint right grrrrrrrr .minimum valve sticking out the head when measured from the shoulder of the guide is 1.375 ive got 1.345.wtf IM no engineer but I reckon the valves will hit the pistons.How the f---k do you get that wrong when ya have the specs in front of you .So ive got this right if there is less than the minimum there is to much valve in the combustion chamber . And a good chance they will hit the piston on compression stroke
Old 6th June 2012
Biker

erockwell is on a distinguished roaderockwell is on a distinguished roaderockwell is on a distinguished roaderockwell is on a distinguished road
Default Heads

For what its worth,I would clay the heads and see if they will hit.I paid 800 for mine to be done.Just told him I was running the r5 cams with wiseco forged,sent them out,3 weeks later,walla.PERFECT.Call Jim at Megaflo near pittsburgh.Hes a one man machine shop that has been producing top wins around the world for sportsters and shovels.He can help!!!
Old 6th June 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: 93" Shovel/Pan
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
rivethog has disabled reputation

The max/min spec for valve stem protrusion is to insure proper rocker arm geometry, not piston-to-valve clearance.
ACE Hardware gr. 8 bolts Krylon & Rustoleum "premium" paint JT-6 waterproof grease, Emgo oil filter Loctite blue red & green AutoZone headlight bulb socket genuine Aftermarket rear fender generic countershaft sprocket Radio Shack 16ga & 14ga wire forks off of a 180mph drag bike Swallow 4.60H18 rear tire 3.50 x 19 Shanghai front
Old 6th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

Are you guys seriously saying you are paying $750.00+ for a simple valve job?
No high flow porting or flowbench work, no hardened seats, and you said you supplied the valves and springs?
Old 6th June 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

If you're going to pay those prices go to Baisley and get hot rod head work for the same price. While you're there get some roller rockers too.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: dragbike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
mrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nicemrmom9r is just really nice

WTF he's been sodomized for a head rebuild and now you want him sodomized for some roller rockers?

Seriously it's only off .030" What's .030" among friends?
Old 6th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
If you're going to pay those prices go to Baisley and get hot rod head work for the same price. While you're there get some roller rockers too.
We have said this over and over and over.....along with Flohead works....

Oh No not again ok I will shut up.... But they save money in the long run.

I will say that there are guys charging 550 or so and it is the complete package plus they usualy blend the pockets and bowl.

Andy the way you measure and what guides used might be wrong/right, I'm not sure unless I see a lic of what your doing. But over all the Rivet is right about that
Old 6th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FLH Shovelhead
waza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura about

wow. That's a lot of money to fit parts for 4 valves.
Old 6th June 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey tracbike the vein on your farhead is popping out.
Old 6th June 2012
Biker

erockwell is on a distinguished roaderockwell is on a distinguished roaderockwell is on a distinguished roaderockwell is on a distinguished road
Default headwork

Ill have to chime back in.He did do a complete rework and changed the geometry on the valves and seats and reworked the bowls.It was well worth the price.Simply suggested a call to him for technical help
Know Thy Hog