The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lickscycles
Figure Machine
Motor Stage
NHRS Performance

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
1200 Custom is on a distinguished road1200 Custom is on a distinguished road
Default clutch noise

Any ideas ???? 02 1200 Custom 75000 miles... Just started having a light clunk noise when i let out the clutch in first gear... Don't do it every time but often... Checked clutch adjustment and it was good... Bike rides great still but i'm not liking this noise... Any ideas???????

Seems like a gear clunk and only does it one time when lever is released....
Old 10th June 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: buellster
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
xlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to all

Hey Custom, Mine does it too,(2003, 883) so I put in new clutch friction plates, ajusted according to the book, and it still does it. So I,m thinking I'm going to pull it apart again & replace the "springplate" with more steel plates & frictions to make up the thickness of this thing. Because I cannot say for sure, but I think this is the problem. Mine does it only after its warmed up good, about 15 or 20 miles. It can be alieveated by being "extra careful " on the clutch lever release, but thats a real pain in the butt. I'll be interested in seeing more comments on this before I do the job. I may be totally wrong. See ya
Old 10th June 2012
Flat Track Racer

Thanks XlRon....

On my bike it seems to be a *Clink or light clunk * coming from in frt of the clutch area and it does it when i release the lever..
Old 10th June 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond reputeCrosshairs has a reputation beyond repute

could it be a loose primary chain ?...may explain why it only does it once when the lever is released
Old 11th June 2012
Chief Know It All

xlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to all

Yes, if its in front of the clutch a loose primary makes more sense. Would be much better than a clutch problem. Got the book?
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th June 2012
Flat Track Racer

Yep i got the book... Would a primary chain to tight make a noise like this. I checked it and it seemed to tight to me so i adjusted it but have'nt got to ride it because its raining now ... I hopeing that could cause it???????
Old 11th June 2012
Chief Know It All

A loose chain would be more likley to make a clunk type noise. A tight chain would be more of a humming, buzzing while moving. I believe at 75k, it would benifit your peace of mind to open it up and inspect it, and go ahead & change out the clutch pak ( the whole clutch), or the clutch stack (friction plates & or metal plates). You did the cover removal, screw to the left till it hits, back to the right 1 quarter? Or just tightened the cable?