The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light
Default New clutch time.

Rode to work and everything seemed fine, felt like a good ride, get on to go home and have zero clutch engagement. Check clutch adjustment and everything is correct. New clutch and clutch spring time I guess.
Old 10th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

What changes that fast. It works one second then not the next?? Sounds more like something is broken or has come loose.

Does the lever have the same feel when you pull it in as it did when you got to work??
Old 10th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

Yah, I can feel it against the plates, it feels like its the same resistance, but I don't know. Steelership isn't open Mondays so I have time to take it apart to see what's up in in there before ordering parts.
Old 10th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

I'm still betting on the actuator.
Old 10th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

when you say zero clutch engagement, so u can roll the bike in gear? or do u mean disengagement?

Not to be picky but it does help us with troubleshooting to know exactly what the symtoms are.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

In gear I go no where when I let the clutch out. It's not engaging. I got half a block from work and shifted into second and it didn't accelerate when I got the throttle.
Old 11th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

Ain't the actuator. Gotta wonder if the outer drive plate or release plate is binding.

You have said nothing about slipping. I just can't see losing all your clutch facings at once.

Could also be some junk got jammed in there.
Old 11th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Well, I'd say get the rear in the air so u can spin the wheel and do a little checking but it sounds like you're going to have to get into the primary and inspect the clutch etc.
Old 11th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

I was thinking one of my springs might have broken. When I figure out how to get my bike home I'll be able to open it up and see. Apparently AAA plus doesn't do bikes like I thought it did, and there is a seven day waiting period to upgrade to the AAA that does bikes.
Old 11th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Oh man, I thought they did too, better check tomorrow, thanks for the heads up.
Know Thy Hog