The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lickscycles
Burly
Sky Smith Insurance
Fix My Hog

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

thank's for your reply,ponderosa. good luck. hoss,might be a,good name for it!
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 11th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. Seeing as how you got a masochistic streak you should fit right in. You have some work ahead but it's doable. Hope it's mostly cosmetic.
Old 11th June 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Welcome! You belong here. You need us.
Old 11th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Ponderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the rough

Does anybody have a link to a free service manual for this machine?
Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

i dont have the link, but i know there is one, but as soon as you get the money, just get the book. also, get the 54-78 parts catolog. both can be had for around 40$ each. and worth every penny. worth there weight in gold.

Old 11th June 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Yeah, It'll be too painful for ya, if your close enough I'll come pick it up for $1500
Old 11th June 2012
Know It All

Ponderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the roughPonderosa is a jewel in the rough

Just kiddin about the emotional scars, the bike was a pain in the butt, however I was a pain in the butt back then also.. It was one of those machines that had soul, character I guess you'd call it.. Although the character at times would try my already thin patience.. Had very little in my youth... Let's see what this 78 has, right now it is just looking very sad, can't get mad at that... It IS all about the machine..
Old 11th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
mcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Does anybody have a link to a free service manual for this machine?
PM me if you still need a link.
Old 11th June 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoral View Post
PM me if you still need a link.
We got her, Thanks though..
Old 11th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have been retired four years, this is the fourth bike restore...

78 Ironhead Sportster I will post pics after first post...
I really enjoyed restoring mine. Same deal. Basket case, didn't run. Took me about 18 months working an average of 4 hrs/day. It was well worth it, even though mine also cost too much. By the way, the $1300 is just the beginning, but you already knew that.
Know Thy Hog