The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
NRHS Performance Long 2
RYCA Motors
NHRS Performance

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
TheHighLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common ironhead problems

I'm still pretty new to these engines. I always hear that ironheads are great engines but you should prepared to be wrenching on them as often or more than you're riding them. So, I'm curious what are the common ironhead problems? What should I look out for? Are there any preventative measures, besides the obvious, that are unique to these engines?
Old 13th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Mainly just keep a check every so often to make sure everything is tight esp if you have elec start.
Old 13th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

check out the stickies in the red. The Technical sticky has some great info on specific procedures on some of the things you may be asking about.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=465866

Also use the search feature for the forum for things you have in mind.
Old 13th June 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1984 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
GaryanOdinson will become famous soon enoughGaryanOdinson will become famous soon enoughGaryanOdinson will become famous soon enoughGaryanOdinson will become famous soon enoughGaryanOdinson will become famous soon enoughGaryanOdinson will become famous soon enough

common problems, worn or wearing parts,getting out of performance range.. lack of maintanice.. fresh oil,filter keeps wear low on those parts..if your starting with a bike thats worn .its going to act like that..poor performance...trobles..good fuel..90% or better octane..these stock engines..are excellent avarge 55 hores.. they don't like long sastained hi speed runs.. they were not designed that way..but we push them and we pay.
these are not long hall speedsters.. good balanced tires true rims..cut excessive vibes.. look at it this way..if you have operating guide lines and you follow them you'll
be ok..but who the hell does that on a sporster.. fasteners use blue locktight..i swaped out stock fastners for stainless steel and fiber locks..have a long tear intimite realtion ship..with every part of your scoot
Old 13th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH- old school chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1981 XL
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton HighRider
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
trappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to all

#1 advice:

Be anal about your chain adjustments. Your primary chain > tranny > drive chain is your weakest link, and am micky mouse system to my mind.

You have the primary pulling the mainshaft in 1 direction, and the drive chain pulling it in the other- putting constant pressure on bushings, roller bearings, etc.

If you have either chain too tight, you provide increased tension on the system, and will have tranny problems sooner rather than later.

if in doubt, too loose far better than too tight.

#2- learn how to trouble shoot your charging system. Test components before they go, so you know what a working component should test at. Plenty of tips on this in the stickys. Charging sytem weak link #2

mechanically, they run forever if taken care of.

I strongly recommend any IH owner change sprocket ratio on drive train- I went up un the front, and run 65 at about 3500 on the tack.

Balance Masters on both flywheel and clutch hub, are like having your engine balanced. Day and night difference and I run them in both sportys. Takes away the vibration like it was a rubber mount, and at 65 my mirror is as clear as if sitting still, and thats on a rigid.
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FJ1100
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
FJ1100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Balance Masterz

What is Balance Masters?
Old 13th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: shovester project
Sportster/Buell Year: 80s
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz440
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
billeuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ1100 View Post
What is Balance Masters?
http://www.balancemasters.com/motorcycles/index.html
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
11steve1 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people like to put the ironheads (or any other model Harley) down saying that they are unreliable. NOT TRUE ! I put mine together last summer and have fallen so in love with it that I just sold my 06 softtail. While the ironheads are a little more maintnance than a new model, the only major issue I have encountered is vibration.( since reading this I think I'm going to try out the balance masters mentioned above) But I ride HARD and 1000+ miles per week on it. Keep the oil changed and every so often just check for things coming loose and you'll soon be in love.
Just look at it as a high maintnace bitch. Ya want a fat girl tha doesn't complain, or some eye candy that you have to spoil a little ? LOL I get my picture taken or video recorded EVERY time I take the IH on the highway...........Never happened on the '06 and it was chromed to the max and Jockey shift as is the Ironhead. I have a love hate relationship with this web site here (as I'm not computer savy)........ESPECIALLY now that I can't post pics anymore. But this was my first build and honestly found every bit of info needed when I would get stumped on this site. So thanks a million guys ! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. And honestly I get more compliments on the way the IH SOUNDS than any other harley I have owned. I previously looked at sportys as a girls bike ha ha and still do but not the ironheads
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
11steve1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and the BEST advice is the first thing you should buy for it is a repair manual. Good advice above about the generator also.
LOTS of locktite, lockwashers, and locknuts, on EVERYTHING
Old 13th June 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Winter project, do this stuff every year ...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...MAHi-O00sWopD8

Regular maintenance, check this list occasionally during the riding season ...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...PaqPetoRVZLRbg

Tech data, keep track of this ...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...Af8i7eNgS6gJ5w
Know Thy Hog