The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Motor Stage
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Motor Stage

Licks Holiday
Tags
1969, 1972, barnett, clutch, xl electric start

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1969
Sportster/Buell Year: A
blindboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barnett Clutch Question

Hi,

This is my first bike ever; so go easy on me. I have an opportunity to get a used Barnett Clutch for a 1972 Ironhead; however mine is a 1969 electric start right hand shift. Is this a good idea to try or destined for failure? I guess the obvious question is would it fit? I don't mind doing a bit of work if it's worthwhile for the upgrade, but I'm not looking to push an elephant up a mountain this summer. Let the Guru's chime in.
Old 14th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Moved thread to IronHead section. You'll the correct answers here.

I'd call Barnett directly and ask them.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 14th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLR Tribute
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light

57-70 dry clutch is different than the 71-up wet.
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses... I wasn't sure about the exact changeover of year for that. I will ensure to submit in the correct section next time.
Old 15th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboy View Post
Hi,

This is my first bike ever; so go easy on me. I have an opportunity to get a used Barnett Clutch for a 1972 Ironhead; however mine is a 1969 electric start right hand shift. Is this a good idea to try or destined for failure? I guess the obvious question is would it fit? I don't mind doing a bit of work if it's worthwhile for the upgrade, but I'm not looking to push an elephant up a mountain this summer.
It's possible to do but I don't think you want to .... H-D did this change because the earlier dry clutches can get leaky, then they start slipping and go to heck. Maybe they got tired of trying to keep the early clutches dry, just gave up and went to wet.

You used to be able to get Barnett wet-n-dry plates for the early clutch that worked even if the clutch did get leaky. Maybe still can.

Otherwise, if your early clutch still works good, going to the later style is not an "upgrade". The early clutch is nicer, just a little more work to take care of.

If this is your first bike ever, you got yourself a great one. But it's got its own personality Unless it's been butchered, leave it stock and enjoy it. It's not as fast as a rice rocket but the early tin cover Sporties are fire-breathing monsters. Ya done good, it will be fun if you like that sort of thing. If not, sell it and get something smoother, don't "improve" it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th June 2012
Biker

Default Thanks!

Yeah! Actually I love the rawness of it! I've had a big smile since getting it on the road. The previous owner had really long forks on the front which I had brought back to stock pipes otherwise she looks right. The feeling though... It's like riding an angry cybernetic bull who just took a shot of ether, and chased it with some "bath salts".... Needless to say, my old lady hated the idea at first (I'm almost 40) but has turned around since my Ironhead has had a strong mood enhancing effect . I'm not looking to make it ride any differently, but getting into gear is basic functioning, and I want to make sure that happens right and safely.
Old 15th June 2012
Biker

Default I don't have the manual for 1970 Onward... Is wetness the only difference?

I don't have the manual for 1970 Onward... Is wetness the only difference? And would running a wet clutch mostly dry be a dealbreaker? Further, is there a difference in technical specification for fitment and just modification for wetness? Or did they simply seal the area and introduce fluid? If so could I run the plates for the 1972 clutch if they are of the wet and dry type? Also how brutal is it to open up that area and check the plates for oil seepage to see if that's the reason for the problem?
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

no one in their right mind,would want to swap a,dry clutch for an a.m.f.,wet clutch there are better reasons,for going the opposite,direction.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

it's,not an,upgrade!wet or dry,clutch plates,for dry clutch,are more popular now,then ever.
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboy View Post
I don't have the manual for 1970 Onward... Is wetness the only difference? And would running a wet clutch mostly dry be a dealbreaker? Further, is there a difference in technical specification for fitment and just modification for wetness? Or did they simply seal the area and introduce fluid? If so could I run the plates for the 1972 clutch if they are of the wet and dry type? Also how brutal is it to open up that area and check the plates for oil seepage to see if that's the reason for the problem?
First off, you never said you had a problem, just that you wanted to change it

Second, neither clutch is perfect. They each have their strong points and weak points. But just changing one for the other doesn't make sense. Okay, changing the early out for the late one doesn't make sense. I've done it the other way, which does make sense

The early (dry) clutch is a much nicer clutch from the rider's standpoint. It works better and feels better. But it needs more care and has a few weak points. It's made up of a piece of tubing with a flat plate brazed on and a bunch of riveted-in drive teeth. The rivets get loose, oil gets in, the dry clutch is now not-dry and it starts to slip. The steel plates are very thin, so if the clutch slips a lot they get hot and warp. Then the clutch doesn't release well so it slips more, gets hot more, warps the plates worse, etc etc.

So the bad thing about the early clutch is that if it starts to get leaky then things go bad. Easy fix : Barnett made some "wet or dry" plates that work when they get oily. There is also a seal in there that can go bad and the bearing is a piddly-ass little thing and there is a thrust washer that needs to be set correctly. But all of those items are pretty easy to fix. You could even do it by the side of the road if you absolutely had to.

Even a proper fix is not that difficult. New bearing and seal and thrust washer, if the rivets are leaky knock them out, put some sealer under the drive teeth and re-rivet. Or buy a one-piece drum Assemble carefully clean and dry, buy one of chevelle's really nice throwout levers (I can't understand why he hasn't been swamped in demands for those, the stock one is a feeble pos), and away ya go with a really nice clutch.

Or just stick new bearings and a seal in it, check the steel plates for flatness, and throw some Barnett wet-dry plates in and don't worry about the leaky rivets. Not quite as nice but it'll do.

The later one has a better bearing but it weighs an absolute ton - and most of the weight is in the worst possible place, out at the rim. Rotating mass, anyone ? It shifts worse because of this. Because it's wet, it doesn't have that nice crisp feel that a dry one has and it will never release as clean. It's easier to maintain but it just doesn't work as nice. So "upgrading" would be the opposite of what you'd get. I doubt that anyone who's ridden a correct dry clutch would recommend that change.
Know Thy Hog