The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Licks Holiday

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of
Default Swingarm issue??

Last week when riding to work some dummy locked his brakes in front of me and I went a little overboard grabbing mine - rear wheel had a slight lockup so I released it everything was fine, noticed later that the pulley had rubbed either against the swingarm or the belt guard, not sure which. No biggie.

Today I noticed that the swingarm may actually be moving. The reason I noticed this is that I recently lost a swingarm pivot bolt cover on the road somewhere so the one on there now I just put on recently. That gap you see in the picture below between the swingarm and the pivot bolt wasnt there before, they were flush.

Does the swingarm move side to side that much normally?? I am at work and just noticed it, dont have my service manual with me so just looking to brainstorm and hear what people think. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th June 2012
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread somewhat recently that Nytster posted a similar issue when his motor mounts were shot. I'm on my phone at the moment so bit hard to search. But might get you pointed in the right direction.

Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Thanks Dan - I found Nytstr's thread ( http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1313091 ) - what has me wondering is this picture:

(Thanks to Cosmo Kramer for that image from the previously mentioned thread...) There doesnt seem to be the gap in that picture that I am experiencing... I'm at work so I dont wanna start pulling it apart here, guess it'll have to wait until i get home.
Old 14th June 2012

Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Figured that thread might help show what's going on. Until I took my engine out recently I had no clue what held it in.

Something does look amiss with yours. At least check the bolts before riding home.
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Yeah, I'm trying to find some tools, its a 40 mile ride home and i dont want it coming apart...
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinXL View Post

There doesnt seem to be the gap in that picture that I am experiencing.
Careful!....those parts are just losely shown in place to give people a general idea of how everything goes together.

I have a similiar gap on my belt side swingarm as you showed in your picture. Not saying my motormounts aren't shot too....but just wanted to warn about using the picture more than just a visual of what goes where in the assembly.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
Careful!....those parts are just losely shown in place to give people a general idea of how everything goes together.

I have a similiar gap on my belt side swingarm as you showed in your picture. Not saying my motormounts aren't shot too....but just wanted to warn about using the picture more than just a visual of what goes where in the assembly.
Thanks Cosmo - the gap itself doesnt scare me as much as the seperation of the pivot bolt cover, I KNOW that was flush when I put it on less than 3 weeks ago.
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh....I see. Unless it is loose enough to move by hand you are probably thinking it took some lateral force to move that out and how the heck did that happen!
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
Ahh....I see. Unless it is loose enough to move by hand you are probably thinking it took some lateral force to move that out and how the heck did that happen!
You got it, everything is tight - just the swingarm pivot bolt seems to have shifted... That combined with the scraped pulley makes me nervous, something either isnt aligned or is moving... I've never worked on that area of the bike, frankly I couldnt tell you how that whole setup is put together from memory - I'll start checking with manual in hand tonight.
Old 14th June 2012

When you say scraped pulley, you mean the one bolted to the rear wheel, right? The rear wheel is bolted to the swingarm - hopefully solidly. Even if the swingarm moves, the wheel should follow it, unless there is an issue with the wheel bearings (or it's not bolted solidly). I'm not sure I would understand how the pulley would get scrapped if the swingarm had lateral movement.
Know Thy Hog