The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Lickscycles
Biltwell
Biltwell

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
billblack is on a distinguished roadbillblack is on a distinguished road
Default rear axle stuck

I attacked (among other things) tonight my rear brakes. I have new shoes that need installed. I remove the axle nut and attempted to drift the axle out: it wont budge. I put the nut back on loose and took some wacks with my 6 lb. maul and the axlle came out about 1/8 of an inch but that's it. IT feels like I am running into a steel wall. I assume it is rusted to a sleeve of some sort within the wheel.

Any tips on getting a stuck axle out? I have sprayed the assembly the best I could with wd40 (what I have sitting around( an am going to let it sit for a overnight. I'll pound on it again in the am and see what happens.

In the meantime: any tips for removing a stuck rear axle??
Old 16th June 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to all

PB blaster and let it sit over night.
See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Speak No Evo, Ride No Evo
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by billblack View Post
I attacked (among other things) tonight my rear brakes. I have new shoes that need installed. I remove the axle nut and attempted to drift the axle out: it wont budge. I put the nut back on loose and took some wacks with my 6 lb. maul and the axlle came out about 1/8 of an inch but that's it. IT feels like I am running into a steel wall. I assume it is rusted to a sleeve of some sort within the wheel.

Any tips on getting a stuck axle out? I have sprayed the assembly the best I could with wd40 (what I have sitting around( an am going to let it sit for a overnight. I'll pound on it again in the am and see what happens.

In the meantime: any tips for removing a stuck rear axle??
Try some Liquid Wrench. You may get much better advice, but unless you can lift it up, turn it sideways, place it under a hydraulic press, I know only impact force, without damaging the threads (using a nut to protect them, as you are doing). That is what one H-D dealer did to my 2002...and then did not bother replacing the sealed bearings.
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfisher View Post
PB blaster and let it sit over night.
Good review at Home Depot...think I will buy some tomorrow...just to have.
Old 16th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
The Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura aboutThe Doctor71 has a spectacular aura about

after you let it sit overnight, put a socket on it, from the left side. 1╝" socket should fit. Turn it CCW then CW then CCW etc. You know, rock it back & forth. Hopefully the axle will break loose and then you might be able to turn it out.

If it's really bad, you may need a buddy tapping it from the right side while you work the socket from the left side.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Undo the brake anchor bolt.
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant future

If all else fails. I had this happen on my brothers 2000 xlc. After repeated applications of penetrating oil and the air hammer, we succeeded in mushrooming the axle. I then reached in from behind with a loooong sawzall blade and cut through the spacers and the axle.

Once the wheel was off the bike we could use the air hammer to drift what was left of the axle out. Obviously needed a new axle and spacer, but that was relatively cheap.

Apply never seize to the new axle!

Good luck,

Jim
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor71 View Post
after you let it sit overnight, put a socket on it, from the left side. 1╝" socket should fit. Turn it CCW then CW then CCW etc. You know, rock it back & forth. Hopefully the axle will break loose and then you might be able to turn it out.

If it's really bad, you may need a buddy tapping it from the right side while you work the socket from the left side.
Don't waste your time. When it seizes, it is the axle to the spacer between the bearings. it will turn with the axle. You can rock it back and forth till your face turns blue and it won't help.

Ask me how I know!
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinCactus View Post
If all else fails. I had this happen on my brothers 2000 xlc. After repeated applications of penetrating oil and the air hammer, we succeeded in mushrooming the axle. I then reached in from behind with a loooong sawzall blade and cut through the spacers and the axle.

Once the wheel was off the bike we could use the air hammer to drift what was left of the axle out. Obviously needed a new axle and spacer, but that was relatively cheap.

Apply never seize to the new axle!

Good luck,

Jim
+1 on the never seize years ago when I replaced the tires on my bike the old bkier who worked at the dealer told me to cover the axles in grease before I put them back. but the bikers who worked for the dealer at the time would tell me these tricks for it saved them time and saved me money if I needed them to work on it . Nikki
Old 16th June 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

loosten the adjusters, also the brake backing plate bolt located just ahead of the axle on the swingarm right side, use a block of wood on the axle end and big hammer, spray with wd or pb work it back and forth it will come out. I'd replace them wheel bearings after hammering on them like that.
Know Thy Hog