The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
Biltwell
Figure Machine
Figure Machine

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
joey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the rough

Iv been through this. I'd go ahead and buy a new axle along with new wheel barrings. I lubed beat and repeated for 3 days.
Old 16th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
billblack is on a distinguished roadbillblack is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Yes if the axle is rusted to the spacer the wheel bearings are certainly rusted as well.

DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR WHEELS!!! This will force water past the seal and into your bearings.

You will certainly need wheel bearings, races, and seals, a new spacer, and both outside spacers that get cut and an axle.

The up side is that the axle and spacers are not hardened and cut easily. :^)
Old 16th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of light

you can use a two jaw puller. i find aerokroil from kano industries exceptional as i have seen it loosed in the field farm machinery that set for years. another trick is to heat the spacer if you think it is causing the problem and then rub a candle on the seams. as the wax melts, it will track the inside of the spacer.
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Kroil is as good or better than PB Blaster
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
billblack is on a distinguished roadbillblack is on a distinguished road

Got it out.

The axle was rusted to the spacer on the LHS between the hub and the swing arm.

I went through a repetitive process of rotating the spacer with respect to the axle (with a pipe wrench), soaking in solvent and tapping on the axle end. Did this a few times twice a day for 2 days and this am the axle finally came out easily.

Thanks! Now it's on to brake shoes + wiring up a rear brake light switch + install a new solenoid and boot. Just installed some baffles in my drag pipes and finally got an air cleaner.....am going to "baseline" the intake and exhaust as best I can and then continue on with my tuning. The Sword is playing at a local club next Saturday and I hope to be able to ride the bike to it......don't have a pillion pad yet so I just know this is the one time a totally smokin chick is going to want to go for a ride.
Old 18th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S-awesome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by billblack View Post
Got it out.

The axle was rusted to the spacer on the LHS between the hub and the swing arm.

I went through a repetitive process of rotating the spacer with respect to the axle (with a pipe wrench), soaking in solvent and tapping on the axle end. Did this a few times twice a day for 2 days and this am the axle finally came out easily.

Thanks! Now it's on to brake shoes + wiring up a rear brake light switch + install a new solenoid and boot. Just installed some baffles in my drag pipes and finally got an air cleaner.....am going to "baseline" the intake and exhaust as best I can and then continue on with my tuning. The Sword is playing at a local club next Saturday and I hope to be able to ride the bike to it......don't have a pillion pad yet so I just know this is the one time a totally smokin chick is going to want to go for a ride.
Definitely a feel good moment!
Old 18th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Good job saving the axel & stuff, we knew you could do it hahahaha use some emery inside that spacer and grease it up good, same with the axle, the bearings are open ended except for the one on the brake side, it would be a good idea to repack those bearings if your not replacing them. bungee a comfey pillow to the fender for that hott chick hahahaha