The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Sky Smith Insurance
NHRS Performance
Motor Stage
DK Customs

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 75
ihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to allihb75 is a name known to all
Default Cleaning Gas Tank

How do you guys like to clean your gas tank when there is rust build up? My filter is getting clogged inside the shutoff valve, and my lines are not pumping anything.

When clean, how consistant should the flow of gas be through the lines?

Thanks
Old 18th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

You can use either POR 15 or RedKote. Try to stay away from Kreem, lots of people on here have had problems with it. Personally, I use POR 15, here's a link:

http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPA...ductinfo/CTRK/

Make sure you follow the directions exactly. When they tell you to thoroughly dry the tank, that's what they mean. When I thought mine was dry a stuck a hair dryer in it on high for another 20 minutes. If its not done right you'll have problems later with it not adhering properly. It's not difficult. You just want to take your time and make sure you follow the steps properly.

The lines should flow freely.

By the way, your usually better off putting all Ironhead questions in the Ironhead Section of the forum. Your likely to get some really strange answers if you don't.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes