The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Burly
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
bfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enough
Default 85 s&s stroker Truett n Osborne rebuild

Bike is broken in well after 2-300 miles but has a little hitch in the upper R's before it goes into slingshot mode. Once it does, yer gone but in the meantime it's either rich, or starving. Not sure which. That is, if fuel is in fact the issue, which I'm fairly sure it is. It gets a spit and a sputter, then if in the right torque range, just goes. Too low in the range, it takes a bit longer or just continues to spit and sputter until I down shift. Bike is a 4-5/8 stroke with sifton cam, s&s super e, bored .040 over, straight pipes (I realize that could be part of my problem) T&O (Jim) completely rebuilt the engine from the crank up, head job, tranny work, tuned up, timed, etc... Oh, it also has the dynatech 2000i ignition which is running on curve 3 I believe. I'm lookin at several variables here so hopefully ya'll can offer some good info. I've never dealt with quite such an animal before but it sure does run good(spitting and sputtering aside). Jim at T&O also said he has little experience with the dynatech ignition but I think he has that set about right. I haven't changed a thing and don't plan to until I know the axact hows and whys.... Thanks in advance for the info..... No pun intended...
Old 18th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

The s&s e only has two fuel circuits. The pilot (idle to about 2500rpm, and main (2500-full throttle) and thats the problem, you rather end up rich in the middle and good at the top of the r range, or good in the middle and lean at the top. Sounds like your the first.

I have a similar set up as you, with the striker and hot cams, and I put a thunder jet onto my e carb, adding a third fuel circuit, slowing me to tune down my mid without leaning out my top end. It's an easy mod, and cheaper then a new carburetor.
Old 18th June 2012
Greasemonkey

bfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
The s&s e only has two fuel circuits. The pilot (idle to about 2500rpm, and main (2500-full throttle) and thats the problem, you rather end up rich in the middle and good at the top of the r range, or good in the middle and lean at the top. Sounds like your the first.

I have a similar set up as you, with the striker and hot cams, and I put a thunder jet onto my e carb, adding a third fuel circuit, slowing me to tune down my mid without leaning out my top end. It's an easy mod, and cheaper then a new carburetor.

Very good to know. What would a system like that cost and how much trouble is the install/tuning? Would lollipops help? Thanks
Old 18th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgoodmudder View Post
Very good to know. What would a system like that cost and how much trouble is the install/tuning? Would lollipops help? Thanks
Lollipops will help. The thunder jet is $50-$60 from http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=572&prod=2112

If you do a search here someone did a great write up on installing it with lots of pictures.
Old 18th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Sprint ss
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
runingmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura about

there shoud be three setings on a E. The two you metion above and the accelerator pump.

and with out it set right it will do as you say.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

need to know the cams spec.... add a 1 inch spacer to carb let me know what is in it for jets now before you start making multiple changes. you have to fine tune it. nothing drastic. The thunder jet is for upper range fuel stavation, and that is not your problem right now, E carbs lack runner lenth as compared to super B

take your time... give me more info,

You have to make notes with every change and willing to back step. running straights? forget the lollypop crap.
Old 18th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Mugsey is on a distinguished roadMugsey is on a distinguished road

The last two posts are rite on the money. S&S is really a simple carb, and easy to tune. Go to s&s website and read how to tune it.
Old 18th June 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

+1 what the last couple post say is correct.Jets size? spacer? turn the accel pump in all the way then back it out 2 turns ,now slap your throttle open and if it stumbles try to turn it counter clockwise a 1/2-1/4 turn and try it again untill it doesnt stumble.The thunder jet does let you fine tune further but it is not your problem right now.
and a set of simple loli's will help for sure if you are not running baffles.
Old 18th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Mugsey is on a distinguished roadMugsey is on a distinguished road

I have a 66 main jet, I can use a 68 but get better mileage with the 66. I also run 028 intermediate. Works very well with my stroker. I also run drag pipes.
Old 19th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by runingmouse View Post
there shoud be three setings on a E. The two you metion above and the accelerator pump.

and with out it set right it will do as you say.

Funny you mention that. Jim from T&O called me today with the idea of adjusting the accelerator pump. Just drove my bike home all the way across Wichita rush hour and a hott azz wind. Felt the need to shut'er down at several stop lights to avoid an overheat. Anyway, when she cools, I'm gonna try to ease off on that pump and see what she does...
Know Thy Hog