The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Energy One Clutches
Hammer Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
bentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura about
Default Made a seat, then messed it up

So I decided to make a seat starting by cutting up the seat pan from one of the seats I disliked:

Used copper pipe fittings for mockup:

Cut and shaped the foam:

Glued the vinal on then started pop riveting. When I came around the last corner I cut the darn vinal too short. From that point I was unable to make nice corners. Chances of taking off the vinal without destroying the foam is nill.:

Doesn't look too bad from a distance, what a bummer

Art

Last edited by Folkie; 22nd June 2012 at 00:34..
Old 22nd June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH "correct for era" HA
Sportster/Buell Year: '62
Other Motorcycle Model: G80 matchless
Other Motorcycle Year: 60
416rigby is on a distinguished road416rigby is on a distinguished road
Default Down the tubes?

Didja put springs down the frame tubes?
Old 22nd June 2012
Know It All

bentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura aboutbentrod has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416rigby View Post
Didja put springs down the frame tubes?
Yeah, there's springs in the tubes, I just need some with more compression.

Art
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant future

That looks waaay better than my first attempt. It can take a couple tries to learn a new skill. Keep on keepin' on...

When yer going around corners and the vinyl wants to bunch up and fold over, you can trap the folded triangular part under a pop rivet so it doesn't hang down. I usually cut out the excess inside the fold so it's only two layers of vinyl instead of three layers. I hope you can follow my description.

A little more shaping and rounding of the foam at the nose of the seat would make it look sleeker.

I got Chevy valve springs for free at an auto repair shop that work pretty damned well and would fit in those sockets perfectly.
Old 1st July 2012
Know It All

Default Second try making a seat

I think its looking better, I wanted to hide the seat mounts on the frame so I came up with this. Still have to get better tucking the material around the corners. I'm going to try another one.

Art
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st July 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

Hti the corners witha hair dryer or heat gun and some of the wrinkles will come out. Be careful tho! I do this with all my seats, both car and bikes. Great job regardless. Is this your first time doing a seat?
Old 1st July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Robicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the rough

Doesn't look too bad though.
If you are like me though it will drive you nuts until it is perfect to you
Old 1st July 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessFrisbee View Post
Hti the corners witha hair dryer or heat gun and some of the wrinkles will come out. Be careful tho! I do this with all my seats, both car and bikes. Great job regardless. Is this your first time doing a seat?
I'll give the heat gun a try, this is actually my third try at making a seat.

Art
Old 1st July 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrod View Post
I'll give the heat gun a try, this is actually my third try at making a seat.

Art
Man, pretty dang good for a third time! Upholstery is not an easy thing to do. There is a reason most folks buy theirs. Itís more work to do it yourself but great satisfaction when youíre done, and itís your way too!
Old 2nd July 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
kd460 has disabled reputation

Looks good! Would like to see a pic of the pivot bracket if you could post it.

Also, for those interested in using leather, a good cheap source for leather is the thrift store or resale shops! Get an old leather jacket for cheap in the color you want and cut it up! KD