The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
DK Customs
Foxcreek Leather
Licks Cycles

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati Monster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
roachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of light

I would have been happy if my speedo could stay within 5 mph or so. Took me awhile to figure out mine was claiming I was going a good 9 mph faster then I really was. No wonder everyone kept passing me. The problem is you have a genuine factory gauge, LOL.
Old 30th June 2012
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

I know my speedo's accurate to 1 mph in 100 because I figured out the math by using my actual rear tire diameter and gearing ratios and knowing the number of teeth on the gear that the VSS reads. I then set my TC88A ignition to the correct corresponding Hz. When I ride with my buddy on his Softail, he's always claiming he's indicating 3-5 mph more than me. Our odometers are off too on a long ride by 3-5 miles out of 100.
Old 1st July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

Said this before. You might not be 5 mph off. You could be 2-3 high and they could 2-3 low.

I know on my '04 Chevy pickup, speedo saying 55 is really only around 52 or 53 mph. Found this out using a stop watch and the mile markers on the interstate (60 mph is 1 minute to go 1 mile, 5 minutes 5 miles), then reconfirmed on the GPS and again on those goofy police speed warning things.

On my 86, the original speedo was basically "spot on" compared to the GPS. Unfortunately the needle fell off. The new speedo reads about 1 -2 mph slower than the GPS.

NOTE: comparing your speedo to a GPS is a pain in the neck. Since GPS units use averages over so many seconds, you have to find a spot that is flat and level so you can go a few miles at the same speed. Not as easy as it sounds.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Old 1st July 2012
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked for dealerships in automobiles, heavy trucks, school buses and motorcycles, 10% is considered normal operating parameters for any manufacturer.

You Can't Fix STUPID !

"Don't Just Do It Right. Do It Just Right"

"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"- Bruce Dickerson

"Horsepower Never Lies-but it's often lied about"

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 1st July 2012
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

96+ have/utilize electronic speedos, 94's NOPE!
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st July 2012
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

In this era of VSS (vehicle speed sensors) and PWM (pulse width modulated) data busses, it's not hard to have an accurate speedo...you just have to program the ICM or ECM to the correct VSS Hz.

Mechanical speedos?..... Harder to calibrate.
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
knut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to all

Really enjoy my 04' Sportster... but it has to have one of the most inaccurate speedometers I've ever encountered on a motorcycle... and that's sayin' something...
Old 16th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
denguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enough

All things considered, I wish they had stuck to the cable drive.
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200 low
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
E65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the rough
Question it is what it is i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead52 View Post
Find a side of the road read out or time in a area with markers

mine is aout 1 to 2 MPH off low
Far too many riders have said they were doin 55 with me while my needle
is showing 50. I have gone through radar displays and I show 5mph slower
than what the radar displays. Not only that but the odometer ain't all that accurate either. FOR EXAMPLE: I have driven multiple vehicles from my driveway to a place down the road, and whatever vehicle it may be, shows from my driveway to that spot is exactly 8.0 miles. Not 8.1, or 7.9, but 8.0
consistantly. On the sporty though it is always 7.7 miles, that is 3/10 of a mile short for every eight driven. So basically for every 24.3 miles driven the
speedo is a mile short. but where I can't connect the dots is why do the rpm's on the tach match the displayed speed? ie: 60mph shows 3000 rpm,
If I,m actually going 65, which I am! Its a miracle I ain't been ticketed.
Old 18th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883h
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
xjjoe01 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 93 sporty speedo is 5 mph slow as is my buddies 2007 dyna. I suppose it helps with the resale value....

-Joe
Know Thy Hog