The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
DK Customs
Biltwell
Motor Stage

Foxcreek Leather
Tags
drag pipes, ironhead, lollipops, magneto, xlch

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1963
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1960
plucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura about
Default 65 XLCH XLR Exhaust Lollipop Cure

I was having issues with my 1965 XLCH. On the highway, the bike in 4th gear at 3/4 to wide open throttle would miss and sound like it was on a rev limiter, which I know it has none. I would lose speed, I could kick the bike down to 3rd gear, rev the bike up and muscle through the dead area but when I was back in 4th gear the bike and engine rev's would slow down at which I would roll back on the throttle and back into the area at which the bike would misfire again,repeating the kick down process. I installed the lollipops in my XLR drag pipes and wow did that cure the problem. Smooth running at highway speeds now, prior to this mod the bike was also a little peaky, like a two stroke engine.

I know this has been covered but thought I would post my setup and history for others.

1965 XLCH

.050 overbore
P cams
Magneto ignition with Joe Hunt Rare earth rotor
Big valve heads, ported and polished
Modern CV carb with acc pump.
Jetting 48 Pilot, 180 Main, 1988 Sporty pre acc pump needle, air screw 1.5 turns out
XLR exhaust pipes, with lollipops installed 3'' back at 90 deg
22 front, 51 rear sprockets

This is the how to lollipop link.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm
Old 27th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

I have zero drag pipe experience.
But the lollipops do work in muffled exhaust as well.
They really bump up idle to 4000 power, w/ only slight loss above that.
My experience is the fender washer needs to be 3/4 the size of the I.D. of the pipe.
Then you can turn the plates to get desired results.
Anything smaller does not work well, don't even try eyebolts, they don't have enough surface area.

Check my dyno links for lollipop dyno graphs.
Old 27th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZX6E
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
bobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nice

My engine is almost exact to yours except that I am running R5 cams and only need a 175 main jet with the Sporty needle, and a 21 toothe front sprocket. How do your plugs look? That main jet seems awfully big.

I was having the same problem with my home made shotgun pipes, so I installed a set of baffles. It cured that problem but created a new one, the sucker would not rev anymore. I would guess 4000 was all I could get out of it. The baffles chocked the engine so much it wasn't funny. So I removed the baffle, cut the very end off of it creating a ring with a hole in it that's about an inch and a quarter in diameter, and re installled this ring. Now I don't have that flat spot anymore, the bike damn near stands up when I jump on it, will rev to the moon, and my plugs look great. My pipes have a weird whistle at low rpm, but you can only hear it from the seat and it goes away as soon as you give it throttle.
Old 27th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1963
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1960
plucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura about

Plugs look good but after fixing the exhaust woes I plan to playing with a smaller main jet this week. Never had to deal with this exhaust issue before.

I ran a 48-185 on my last .030 over XLCH with stock heads.
Old 27th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Lollypops are a bandaid for an incorrectly matched exhaust system.

Sticking anything in a drag pipe is like trying to fart around a cork.

Old 27th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Lollypops are a bandaid for an incorrectly matched exhaust system.

Sticking anything in a drag pipe is like trying to fart around a cork.
I understand what your saying, but disagree.
On the other end of the spectrum, most stock pipes are not well matched for the engines they came on.
They are great for noise control,not performance.
So what are we ironhead guys to do?
Pick some import bolt on "high performance" type exhaust out of a catalog and assume the exhaust manufacture (10 year old Chinese kids) know what their doing?
The lollipops work in muffled exhaust as well as I mentioned in my other post.
My take on Harley exhaust is performance,sound and looks.
Ream baffles (if muffled) to get the sound you want then tune w/ lollipops for desired back pressure.
I understand its not optimal and backpressure is a bandaid, but these engines are far from optimal as well.

I love the look of xlr pipes.
I'm not a fan of drag pipe noise and lowend power loss though.
To keep that xlr look (that I'm sure he is going for) and have a decent adjustable tuned exhaust w/ a $2.00 fix, that's ok in my book.
Old 28th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZX6E
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
bobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nice

Why would you want to make them 1 3/4? That would suffocate the engine.
Old 28th June 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,agree bobber58,3/4,the diameter of the pipe,i.d.,is what chevelle,stated. i,misunderstood what he was referring to.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 28th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber58 View Post
Why would you want to make them 1 3/4? That would suffocate the engine.
For 1.750" drag pipes it would be about 1.180", try it.
It does not suffocate the engine, but I think Ive heard this before.....
Did you see the homemade 2:1 I made?
Someone stated if there ever was a way to choke off the exhaust, that is it. BUT the proof is in the numbers, it works....
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1367025

The thing is the lollipops are adjustable, you rotate them to where you want them.
When installed parallel to the pipe outlet, the lowend is much increased, but top end suffers.
If installed perpendicular 90deg to outlet (zero blockage) the lowend suffers and topend is decent.
You need to find a happy medium, thats where the adjustability helps.
Check my stroker dyno thread, all info is there.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1265958
Old 28th June 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

someone remembered,someone stating,that,and i,would too,if i,was the one with dyno,access.
Know Thy Hog