The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Licks Cycles
Motor Stage
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '60
Other Motorcycle Model: xs650
Other Motorcycle Year: '72
sevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enough
Default Tranny expedition - 1960 stroker

Due to 3rd gear slipping and discovering a few pieces of metal in the trans oil, I will be pulling out the transmission. I'll do my best to post good pictures so you guys can give educated input. Hopefully you can help me through this and it might help someone else down the road.

I wanted to state the fact that this motor has been bored and stroked, that way when we get into it, we might be able to determine other parts that have been beefed up or might need to be upon reassembly.

Dug into it a bit last night:

First I drained the transmission oil... again.

Removed "left footrest" & "rear brake foot lever"

3 screws then popped off the primary cover

Clutch cover. I just put this on a couple weeks ago and I used RTV gasket silicone when I put it back on because I couldn't find a reason not to. Well, now I know why not to, it was a bear to get off.

pressure plate & nuts, springs & cups

releasing disc

then removed all the friction & driven plates

chain adjuster deal

moving to the other side next
Old 27th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

if your not having any problems with your cams no need to open the other side up. Remove your clutch basket to get to the transmission.
Old 27th June 2012
Know It All

sevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
if your not having any problems with your cams no need to open the other side up. Remove your clutch basket to get to the transmission.
I was wondering this, but don't I need to take off the drive sprocket?
Old 27th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyears of famine View Post
I was wondering this, but don't I need to take off the drive sprocket?
oh ya but that is just the sprocket cover, not the cam cover. I just didn't want to see ya open up and drop a cam or something when you don't need to.

but you will have to remove the clutch basket, and primary drive as well.
Old 27th June 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
oh ya but that is just the sprocket cover, not the cam cover. I just didn't want to see ya open up and drop a cam or something when you don't need to.

but you will have to remove the clutch basket, and primary drive as well.
good, cuz I already took it off.

Removed pipes, right foot peg, kicker & chain.

Manual says you might have to use an all purpose puller to get the sprocket off. So happens I have something like that and so happens I needed it.

had to pry this little guy off

order of clutch rods (as they were anyway)

now this can't be good, but it may not be all that bad? Seems these threads are just holding the sprocket cover on? What about that little dowel thingy, what's that do? It's barely in there, I'm guessing it just lines up the cover?

Know Thy Hog

Old 27th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

"now this can't be good, but it may not be all that bad? Seems these threads are just holding the sprocket cover on? What about that little dowel thingy, what's that do? It's barely in there, I'm guessing it just lines up the cover?"

AND it supports the cover as your body weight comes down on the kicker! I hate seeing this, damn early cases are like clay, I'd gunk the hell out of it and look alot deeper in the speedo drive area before your proceed throwing money at the bike... Good Luck
Old 27th June 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

Quench plug at end of shift fork rod missing.
Gouging on kicker shaft and cover bolt hole and dowel damage. Sprocket too large... What's tooth count?
Think that's your issue, there.
I'm sure you noticed the case weld under upper portion of sprocket cover...
Old 27th June 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

transmissions,dont slip,but clutch's do,especially,dry one's,when they get oil on them.it's possible that this is a,clutch issue. plate's do not appear to be oil saturated,but adjustment change,might be,necessary. hate to see you pull the trans.,for a,clutch issue.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 27th June 2012
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
transmissions,dont slip,but clutch's do,especially,dry one's,when they get oil on them.it's possible that this is a,clutch issue. plate's do not appear to be oil saturated,but adjustment change,might be,necessary. hate to see you pull the trans.,for a,clutch issue.
you messin with me man?
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1494612

Quote:
yes you have transmission,damage. also it would be wise not to remove that plug again.it'a,steel,plug in an,aluminum case and it will strip out soon.drain the transmission by,removing the,primary cover.
Quote:
i,think the damaged pieces,look like,gear dog material,rather than,gear teeth.
Old 28th June 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

no,im' not.recognized your screen name,but not your,previous problem. i,thought this was your first post on this problem. my,mistake. please continue. [i,don't remember you mentioning that,dual throat carb in your original post,that i,would have,remembered.]
Know Thy Hog