The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
xlhrick (69), gripdad (60), ask4dug (58), TinMan_4L (53), jrhayden (52), norseXL (49), ftcara (48), rick600, thebisch (44), wademclean, smooth8423 (39), timmaboy (38), mxmike800 (24), OddOneOut (23)
NRHS Performance Long 2
Get Lowered
Speedway Instruments
883 Sportster

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2012
Lord of the Flies

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Grumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of light

Remember this...

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
'83 GL1100 Goldwing (cafe project)
My '86 XLH build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
...like so many other things in life, bikes on the verge of self destruction thru modification are a blast.
Old 29th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant future

I'd recommend everyone join the AMA! They are working to fight this kind of crap!

As an added bonus, if you join and sign up for automatic renewal. ($40 a year) You also get free roadside assistance for your bike, and family cars,for you and members of your family! Including children driving your cars while away at school.

You can't beat that deal.
Old 29th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinXL View Post
Wow - just reading through some of those laws.... You can't ride with an exhaust that has removable baffles IN PLACE??
over here in new germany (jersey) weve had to deal with incredably restrictive bike laws. then, out of the blue sky in the mid 80's, things got way more lax.

the change. the cops. lots of them started riding.

as long as you werent being a hazard just about anything was accepted. sad to hear its cycling back to the old days.

here helmet and eye protection are considered part of the vehicle inspection. those items need to be dot approved or of dot accepted AND TAGGED OR MARKED AS SUCH.

tinted lenses or helmet mounted shield were in violation if used after 'dusk'. operating a non conforming vehice was cause for impound.
sun glasses= impound.
approved but tinted after dusk = impound (when ever dusk starts or ends i still have no idea)

approved windsheilds if at least as tall as the seated drivers armpits alowed you to ride sans glasses. wind shield could be tinted at all times
passingers had to have glassses though. passengers DIDNT need to have a seat per-say. but DID have to hav a discrete handhold. the driver is not a decrete handhold.
passengers must be seated facing direction of travel.
dog sitting backwards in sidecar = impound.

passenger footrests have to be of 'equal or greater dimensions than the oem diver units.

seated passengers could not have their knees positioned above thier hips.
picked up a tall girl = impound.
cop impounds your buds bike, he climbs on the back of your bike. his knees too high? your bike danlging from the wrecker too.

most of these retarded points of law got changed in the mid 70's.
because guys started to be able to get tics dismissed thru loopholes.

ex:
driver had to wear an approved helmet. that got changed to read 'approved protective headgear secured as intended by mfg'. after guys started to strap their legal helmet over thier knees.

windshileds got changed from 'fitted' to 'fitted to, or fitted ahead of the handle bars.
or
frame mounted shields must be fitted in front of the driver

because we would fit windshiels to our sissy bars. a long as they were taller than armpit you were legal.

you needed at least 1 mirror. that mirror had to be mounted either above your shoulder or outboard of your shoulder. that got changed to in front of the driver situated to proved adaquite visability.

no more ty straping a broken piece of mirror glass to outside of your elbow.

i think it was 1975 that the two tag law got repealed before that you needed to display two plates. the reg one on the rear visable and displayed to be ledgable from all viewing angles. no side mount.

and a front displayed faceing to the right hand side (facing the sidewalk) of direction of travel forward of headlite.

you get the idea. i could go on forever.
Old 29th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinCactus View Post
I'd recommend everyone join the AMA! They are working to fight this kind of crap!

As an added bonus, if you join and sign up for automatic renewal. ($40 a year) You also get free roadside assistance for your bike, and family cars,for you and members of your family! Including children driving your cars while away at school.

You can't beat that deal.
I am a member of the AMA and I'm going to upgrade to Life member and get involved on a local level.

The insurance industry has it out for motorcycles in general. They hate paying money out, they are not in the business of paying money out.

The only way to fight back is to organize, alone our voices are not heard.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 29th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Chef View Post
Remember this...

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

+ 1000 Matt

Old 29th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

Rode in Jersey in the late 60's and early 70's. Got so bad I could not go to lunch without getting pulled over and detained. One time for unapproved goggles which were actually approved by the state. Idiot cop didn't think they looked approved and I spend 45 minutes at the side of the road while he called it in a few times to verify the State of NJ approval letter that I showed him.

Annual inspection was a nightmare with the inspectors failing you for legal things - mostly based on your age and appearance. It was all about stats showing that MC's failed and they needed to have state inspection stations to keep things safe. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

SEMJPM
Old 29th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

Quote:
Remember this...

Christy Moore - Yellow Triangle. Great song man!!
Old 29th June 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Asshat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Remember this...

Amen
Old 29th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Shadow
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
sgtgeorge is on a distinguished roadsgtgeorge is on a distinguished roadsgtgeorge is on a distinguished roadsgtgeorge is on a distinguished roadsgtgeorge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
they stop and frisk minorities without cause, next its non-minorities that dont meet with expected behavior, next its .... and then its .... get it????
WWWHHHOOOOAAAAAAHHHH! Hold on there. I am a retired NYPD Sergeant. I can handle all the donut jokes etc. HOWEVER, (there is no way to put this in a politically correct way, so here it goes) 75% or better of crimes committed, are committed by minorities in minority communities. Check the stats, they are out there. Are there asswhole cops out there, you bet! Many motorcyclists in NYC ride STOLEN bikes! I have personally arrested dozens of guys (again, mostly minorities) riding stolen bikes. Recently, many neighborhoods, like Bed-Stuy, have gotten gentrified by White Hipster types that ride metric cruisers, Sportsters, etc., that while not stolen, are not registered or insured. Many these hipsters are anarchists and refuse to do what is legal (reg, inspection, etc) because of their beliefs. Do these situations affect the rest of us, who obey the law? Yes. But you have to understand where it comes from.
Old 29th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 06 883/1200 Sportster XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
cootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to all

To me, it's kinda like one of the many si-fi movies. We the people create some robots, to make our lives easier, more productive, safer, etc. etc. Then, as the robots progress, upgrade so to speak, and get smarter, they gain more and more power, and eventually anything that is not a robot is bad and must be dealt with. Maybe the day will come when the people start taking care of themselves, instead of relying on the public servants (whom we created, and pay) to do our dirty work for us. Just sayin........