The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
Licks Holiday
Dead Creek Cycles
Sky Smith Insurance
Energy One Clutches

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: "Scooter" CH250 Elite
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
rikrak has disabled reputation
Cool Red Hot Lights and the Wires Who Feed Them

Have not been on by in awhile. However, I thought now I could pass along my experience with "hot" lights and it's effect on the wires inside the headlight can. IMHO the standard bulb sucks. I read somewhere (by someone) that it was safe to replace your headlight bulb with a hotter 85/100 and at that range you would not melt and destroy the wires. So far, so good as I have been doing this for like 6 years now.

Just replaced my bulb and on inspection it "seems" as if the wires are all just fine. I did not note any brittle of burned wires, all at least "appeared" normal. While I don't live in Texas so there is no extreme heat but it gets damn hot and damn cold and I'm one of those evil people who ride on Hi Beam during the day.

I know this is not a scientific review but it seems to work just fine and after 6 years the wires seem just like any others on-board. For me hands down an 85/100 bulb is the ONLY way to go. I work nights and come in from the edge of the county to Mid-Town so I want a good reach to pick up them little critters eyes and avoid that bump in the night. Now on-coming traffic "sometimes" thinks my low beam is too bright (or on high) but it's only occasionaly. I know some don't feel one should use thier "brights" in the day but that is a whole different issue.

This is more to the point, that the Sporty needs better light, and an 85/100 bulb really makes a difference in my opinion while seemingly no causing any noticeable damage to the wires inside the headlight can.
Old 1st July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant future

If cars ask for the dim just lower your light's aim a bit, it will even be better on high beam at night. Running with the spot to high is worst than to low; no need to see the tree leafs.
Old 1st July 2012
Turbo Mafia

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant future

I have an 85/100 also and I love it.......I did however buy a ceramic plug as a precautionary measure....its cheap insurance that I figured was worth it..for 7 bucks you get a nice ceramic socket with a 6" pigtail of heavy gauge wire

Amazon.com: 3A Racing 46-9993 Heavy Duty Headlight Socket 9003/H4: Automotive Amazon.com: 3A Racing 46-9993 Heavy Duty Headlight Socket 9003/H4: Automotive