The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
Lickscycles
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL - Sold
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
sportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Run on(Dieseling), fast idle when hot & black cylinders

Here's my problem.
It's been really hot here in the Northeast & since then I have had this issue;
when the bike is hotter than "normal" the idle tends to kick up some, I have searched other threads & found that this is not uncommon. It also runs on(dieseling) when I shut it off hot. When I pulled the plugs to check them I looked in the plug hole & saw only blackness, which I was able to scrape away with a chopstick.
The motor is a stock 2002 1200C except for stage 1 thunderslide & cycleshack slip ons done 7 or 8 years ago & nothing has been touched since.
I have also notice some carb farts running a stready 60 mph or so that never happened before.
Here's the front plug

and the back

and inside the front jug, you can see the scrape mark.

I run regular gas & have run 3 tanks with a 1 oz/gal seafoam mixture & this is what I have. Please don't tell me to use higher octane gas, I think that's fixing a symptom not the problem?
Old 5th July 2012
Old Fart M/C Club

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/NRHS 1250 custom
Bruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud of

I noticed when I was on the PA. run a couple weeks ago, I had a little dieseling, some preingnition on starting. I blamed it on the north east gas. Got back home and everything is fine. Have they started running more ethanol in the gas lately.
Member of "The Cell #2"
Old 5th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

A change to a higher octane may well fix your issue. I had almost the same thing happen this week since the heat index was any where from 101-114 in SE Va. I usually run mid grade, and once it started acting up I went to hi test and it stopped. the motor is hot and your symptoms are showing the typical reaction. All that black crap is carbon, you see more of it when more corn juice is added to the gasoline. This has gone on for decades.

And i have an aftermarket ignition, 48/180 jets, Forcewinder and thunder header. It runs rich, it covers the pulley with soot, but its happy and so am I.
Old 5th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I noticed when I was on the PA. run a couple weeks ago, I had a little dieseling, some preingnition on starting. I blamed it on the north east gas. Got back home and everything is fine. Have they started running more ethanol in the gas lately.
10% is the max I think
starts right up in the morning, some times a backfire when starting hot, like after gassing up
Old 5th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

I run 91 OR 92 octane ONLY, had to use 87 once and that was terrible, same problems as
Sportymike02
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSporty02 View Post
I run 91 OR 92 octane ONLY, had to use 87 once and that was terrible, same problems as
Sportymike02
it's run great on 87 for 10 years, that's what I don't get. What happened?
Old 5th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Kunze is an unknown quantity at this point

My 99 dieseled for first time last weekend. I just chaulked it up to extreme heat.
Old 5th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
ironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of light

I run 87 most of the year. As it gets closer to being in the 90's I'll run 89. The past few days of 100 + temps I've been running 93 (especially this past weekend getting up as high as 107).

This was just to avoid run on, and pinging under HEAVY load.

your idle will change with engine temps... I welded an extention to the idle screw on mine to have complete control over idle speed on the fly.

Other things that could cause your issue, since you say it has never done this..... I'd look for intake leaks, vacuum leaks, maybe ignition or timing ......
Old 5th July 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Just putting SeaFoam in the tank will not solve the carbon build-up problem. You have to buy the spray can version of Sea Foam and follow the directions.

FYI point your pipes in a direction where the crap that is spit out will not cause a major cleanup later.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 5th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Cherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant futureCherrylady2 has a brilliant future

Yep! Every time I run less than 91 octane (I prefer 93+) I get the same damn thing. AND it's especially bad when the temps are above 80 & the engine is warm. I carry octane boost with me when I know I'm going to be in areas where hi-octane is going to be a problem finding....like the rural areas of Iowa.

When I bought the bike...I was told by several of the techs...."make sure you run hi-octane, 91+". I follow that advice whenever I can.

I no longer get lost. I explore alternative routes to unintended destinations~Unknown Rumble Sister
Know Thy Hog