The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Get Lowered
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Well I guess I'm the other way I know nothing about the new ones.The Evo's are block heads I think they're called is about the time I lost interest.
Old 8th July 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
gunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, sometimes,"Iron Head" elicits quite a few blank stares. Though how many times people would ask if my Virago was a Harley- despite the big YAMAHA on the tank.
Old 8th July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

For God's sake, SHOOT them if they ask that. The human race will be fractionally better off.
Old 8th July 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
gunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of light

LOL I wish I still had it. Never a problem. This IH just sits there looking pretty. I may never need a tire change.........Im really crying on the inside....
Old 8th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcrashster View Post
I stopped at Z&M HD yesterday, {SAT}. 50+ bikes in the parking lot. NOT ONE PERSON knew what an Ironhead was.

No BS. I heard Shovedl, Pan ???, and Triumph.

Are people getting stooopider, or just more ignorant?
im surprised that this surprises you!

after the 85 run when production ceased, the dealers had nothing to offer us that that wasnt available elsewhere.

combine that with their usuall inability or reluctance to help the owner of an old bike (read as guys who arent gonna walk in a by a new bike).

when you add that up you sum up what we -the irons- did.

we closed ranks and became self-suficient.

last time i was inside a dealership was 1989.

though i did get brow beat to going to a grand opening of one near where i live. that was 2002 i think. rode my brother 67ch stroker. parked it and dismounted.

a guy and a lady walk by. they do a double take and a back step.
"what year is it?" they ask. "two thousand-two". i say.
they giggle.
"no... the bike. never seen one like this."
"oh the bike" i reply. "1943 made the same year as the steel pennies".
they go on their way.
i go to find and bitch out the guy who got me to come to this god forsaken social tribute to coolness.

twenty mins later my get the f outta here gene is screaming.
theres a crowd of embossed black leather clad people gathered around the 67 snapin pics of my bro's bike. fringe hanging below their belt line. it had to be 90 degrees that day.

i hear:
"43?"
"yeah the guy said 1943."
"no bull?"
"nope."
"wow!"

i navagate to the rear of the circle jerk. sneak in thru a gap and swing out the kicker pedal.
things go silent.
one guy has a video camera.
i look around and ask "who here knows why pennies where made from steel in 1943".
more silence.

i climb on the kicker and boot some life into the old gal.
one kick shes alive.
THESE PEOPLE START CLAPPING.

i snick into 1st and pull away, shaking my head from side to side -trying to wrap my mind around who's stupider- me or them.

now i understand why penalties should be more severe for dealin in school zones.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light
Default IronHead Forever

Last year I sold my 2003 Anniversary Edition Electra Glide Classic. It had a 103 ci motor upgrade and all the bells and whistles.

I was told "it was a thing of beauty", by many people...the nicest HD they had ever seen. It was what I had always wanted!

No bugs in my teeth, no wind in my hair (whats left of it sticking out my shorty) and it had a seriously great sound system. BUT it just didn't FEEL right.

This year I bought a 1983 XLX IronHead...she leaks a little oil and "she is a girls bike" my buddy told me ( the one who only ever owned a 650cc BSA) so he must know a lot.??????

Let me say now that nothing compares to the feeling I have now for this old Ironhead....the sound, the feel, the feeling that you have a real piece of history. Not to mention it cost less than 25% of my Electra Glide!

I am not afraid to wrench on it, not afraid to get it dirty, not afraid to scratch it or ride it in the rain. I learn from her and I love that. It is a completely different experience that I cant explain, not better than other bikes...just better for me.

I would love to have another Decker (as my second bike )
Beautiful machines and great for a nice long trip.

BUT I wouldn't ever part with my IronHead.

I think you have to own one to get it....now I get it.
Old 8th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
hdpegscraper is on a distinguished roadhdpegscraper is on a distinguished roadhdpegscraper is on a distinguished roadhdpegscraper is on a distinguished road

When Id tell people I picked up a '71 Ironhead, most would say "Oh", then about 2-3 minn into the conversation, ask "whats an Ironhead?" And these are people into Harleys, and bikes in general. So I just tell em its an early Sportster, when they had iron heads. Then Id get the "Oh, a Sportster comment". Then just to differentiate it from a modern Sportster Id say. Ya, ya know, right side shift, brake w/ your left foot, kick start only, and go on to tell them this ones got no front brake, and a girder front end. Most reply with, "Oh, I could never ride that."

Now on the other hand, when I showed my boss a pic of what I was gonna buy, hes says " thats got a Smith & Fetro girder, strut rails, and the neck looks like it might be to. That front brake is even an old Hurst/Airheart. I asked how he could tell that, "I just know he says". But then he keep pics of his old Ironheads at work.

Another coworker thinks I should turn it into a Shovester, as he always wanted one.

So I know a few that know what an ironhead is, but not too many.
Old 8th July 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

2,year's ago,i,made the mistake of taking my,bike to my local,indie on a,memorial day,saturday.for inpection. he told me he couldn't do it today,[because his wrench wasn't there] take it down to this auto garage that,knew him. the guy behind the desk asked me if it would pass,and i,said hell,yes.he proceeded with his inspection,which consisted of,wiggling a,couple of spokes,[he didnt,know where to begin].asked me when the wheel's were pulled to check the brakes,i,told him last year. he puts a,sticker on it.,a,gray haired auto mech, in the back say's,that's an old knucklehead. i,said,it's,an ironhead [he really thought he knew what he was talking,about.] it's not that people are getting stupider,they keep getting younger,and don't know how special it is,the piece of history,they're looking at.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 8th July 2012

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Pity them. They'll never know.
Old 8th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Shovelhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Cmontgomery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 84 shovelhead sporster

Can someone tell me about the 1984 sportster shovelhead? It was my dads bike and I'm looking to restore it. I need to know what I have?
Know Thy Hog