The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Cycles
Foxcreek Leather
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage

DK Customs
Tags
oil pump removal

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1975 XL
Other Motorcycle Model: 1964 Montessa
75bike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cutting frame to remove 75 sportster oil pump without taking engine out

Here are 3 templates and I would like any suggestions. I plan to cut the right down tube just behind and just in front of the oil pump. I will then put in bolt in plates to be able to remove the 75 sportster oil pump without taking the engine out. The 3 templates show 1-1/2 square , 1-1/2x2-1/2 offset center hole , and the same as the middle with hole centered.

Old 11th July 2012
USCG Mechanic Retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: FXE Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the rough

I can see your logic but.....really how often do you have to pull your oil pump?
Old 11th July 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
jc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nice

????????
I mean....I agree with above.
Old 11th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: '02
DBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to allDBH is a name known to all

I wouldn't be a big fan of doing that, bolts stretch and flanges bend under stress.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriveing safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather slideing in sideways, "Jack" in one hand and a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screamin "Holy shit what a ride!"

Life is all about "Faster horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, And more Money" Thank you, Tom T Hall

“A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. Which would include their own government.”
– George Washington
Old 11th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about

I agree, that would weaken the frame. It's not that big of a job to pull the engine.

Old 11th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
GarryBoots is an unknown quantity at this point

You want to what??????????????????
Old 11th July 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Xrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura aboutXrims has a spectacular aura about

To each his own if its what you want to do then do it.Maybe try some round flanges instead of square with 6 bolts would help on the frame flex and stress.Its your ride do it your way and ride it proud.
Old 11th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

There was an entire thread about this a few years back. I'm sorry to be harsh, but I it's completely moronic. I've seen it done two or three times, and it is always a bad idea, and in fact at times down right funny.

Removing a Sportster Engine from a frame takes about an hour (my brother and I did one a few years back in twenty-five minutes. It takes a little longer to put everything back together but not much. Cutting you frame simply to remove your oil pump is the absolute height of folly.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 11th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
There was an entire thread about this a few years back. I'm sorry to be harsh, but I it's completely moronic. I've seen it done two or three times, and it is always a bad idea, and in fact at times down right funny.

Removing a Sportster Engine from a frame takes about an hour (my brother and I did one a few years back in twenty-five minutes. It takes a little longer to put everything back together but not much. Cutting you frame simply to remove your oil pump is the absolute height of folly.
I've got to agree. I have seen this done years ago and thought it wasn't real bright back then. My opinion hasn't changed. Cutting a frame should not be taken lightly.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 11th July 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

seems like a Real Bad Idea™ to me.
Know Thy Hog