The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
Superbrace
S&S Cycle
BIKE BUILDER
NRHS Performance Long 2

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Vrenlos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a new bike...but what is it?

Hey all,

I'm new to HD, but certainly not to bikes. I've wanted a sporty for a while now, and made a handshake to go pick up my new bike early next week with cash - now here's the interesting part - I'm not sure what it is now. So I've been told it's a 2007 883 that was converted to 1200 upon the initial purchase. I rode it earlier today, and if sure felt like a 1200, so no discrepancy there. However, it's got the Nightster orange/black two-tone paint scheme, blacked out components, and dual front disc.

The guy is supposed to be sending me over the VIN #, but I haven't heard from him yet and now I'm all worked up trying to figure out what I'm looking at here. I knew I should have snapped a pic of it when I was over there. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Old 14th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like an 883R, by the engine and wheels. Plus the dual front disc.
Old 14th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

The only bikes that had dual front discs were the 883R and the 1200R Roadster, this is probably an 883R which you said had a 1200 kit put in it but that looks like a Nightster Tank though, I'd check to see if it hasd been in an accident.

Here is a link to what it suppose to look like
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=wDt1mV1fAIt
Old 14th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me add: It doesn't look like it's ever been apart (motor). Check for scratch marks around the cam cover and inside the allen bolt heads. There should be some signs of being opened-up if it's been converted.
Old 14th July 2012
Biker

I was thinking 883R as well...but I guess I can't be 100% until I get that VIN. The bike only has 5k miles on it and everything down to the rubber lines looks factory crisp, so I'm fairly certain there wasn't an accident.
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th July 2012

Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrenlos View Post
I was thinking 883R as well...but I guess I can't be 100% until I get that VIN. The bike only has 5k miles on it and everything down to the rubber lines looks factory crisp, so I'm fairly certain there wasn't an accident.
Whenver I see different parts on an otherwise stock bike I get curious and the black paint part on the front fender is not stock.
Never hurts to ask, but if it looks sound then it probably is.
I would ask about the tank being replaced or repainted.
Not to rain on your parade, but it never hurts to step back and ask why,

I've bought and sold lots of bikes over the years,some of those things I learned the hardway as in losing money. just my two.
Old 14th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: WR250F
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
texbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to beholdtexbombboy is a splendid one to behold

I vote 883r, the tank swap doesnt bother me much. I would question the conversion however. The difference between an 883 and 1200 is hard to see from the outside i would want paperwork for parts or labor. If they cant produce that I'd look up the through the spark plug hole measurements i know they have been posted many times before. I wouldnt walk away even if it were an 883 i would just use it to bargain a lil.
Old 14th July 2012

I wouldn't let that put me off on buying it either, But I would still like to know.
Information is always helpful when it come time to talk money.
And if it lowers the price all the better.
Old 14th July 2012
Biker

Ok, I got the VIN and it turns out it is in fact an 883R from 2007. I'm also sent a message off to the dealership that supposedly did the work to see if they hopefully have anything in their records.
Old 14th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrenlos View Post
Ok, I got the VIN and it turns out it is in fact an 883R from 2007. I'm also sent a message off to the dealership that supposedly did the work to see if they hopefully have anything in their records.
Good Job! They should have the records if it was upgraded.
Know Thy Hog