The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
NRHS Performance Long 2
Licks Cycles
Get Lowered
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
drifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the rough

Does it look like a dent in the derby cover?

Dave
Old 14th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

S also has duel disks
Old 14th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
knut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrenlos View Post
Hey all,

I'm new to HD, but certainly not to bikes. I've wanted a sporty for a while now, and made a handshake to go pick up my new bike early next week with cash - now here's the interesting part
Looks like a nice bike. I've had my Sporty for just about a month now and have been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy it and how well put together it is. It's my 27th bike but first Harley as well. Good luck and I hope it works out for you...
Old 14th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light

Well whatever it ends up, i sure do like the look of the black and orange. Really stands out for me. Sharp looking bike. Good luck with it!
Old 14th July 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
DWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter02 View Post
Does it look like a dent in the derby cover?

Dave
Good eye... it does look like that to me. And maybe a scuff in the paint on the front of the primary cover?
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The only bikes that had dual front discs were the 883R and the 1200R Roadster, this is probably an 883R
The 5th and 6th digits on the VIN will be CS if it is.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 14th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Vrenlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliam View Post
Good eye... it does look like that to me. And maybe a scuff in the paint on the front of the primary cover?
I noticed these in the photos as well, but somehow did not when I was checking out the bike yesterday. I'm going to see if the guy's around today for me to take another look.

edit: Thanks a million for the input guys. I I still think this bike's a pretty good deal for $4700 if it indeed has the 1200 conversion done, and if there is a small dent I'll see if I can knock him down a few hundred more.
Old 14th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Here's one for comparison: http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/3117062195.html
Old 14th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

Look real close at the bottom of each cylinder on the left side of bike if you were sitting on it.
most cylinder upgrades like hammer and NRHS put their mark here. i'm not sure if the screaming eagle has a mark here also.

to me they do look like replacement cylinders due to the fact that the heat fins do not line up with the head fins. i believe on my iron they did on the stock cylinders. could be wrong though.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Vrenlos is an unknown quantity at this point

I went ahead and tracked down where this bike was purchased, and they had no record of any work done other than an initial rider setup. Shit. The saga continues, I guess. Does anyone else know any tell-tale signs of the conversion? I'll take a close look at the cylinders, and of course check out what's up with that derby.
Know Thy Hog