The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Dead Creek Cycles
Superbrace
Motor Stage

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Kingrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't get past 4000 rpm

My bikes a 73 Sportster.

Issue: bike starts and idles well, accelerates fine up to about 4000 rpm then loses accceleration. Doesn't pop or fart just seems to hit a power ceiling. Same in every gear.
Seems to overheat too.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
My carb is the Zenith Bendix 16p12 with just the adjustable low speed screw.
My Clymer says # 1 suspect for Loss of Acceleration is the carburetor is set incorrectly.
I am willing to pull this old carb off but would rather not if I don't have to. The bike was working fine awhile back and I had it on the highway for a300 km run just a month ago.

Donnie
1973 XLH 1000
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

I'd drop that bowl, if there's junk in that bendix it'll do just that
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Done anything to your exhaust lately? Too restrictive baffles in drag pipes etc will do what you describe.
So will a clogged air filter.
So will fuel blockage in the carb or petcock etc.
Old 15th July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrabbit View Post
... bike starts and idles well, accelerates fine up to about 4000 rpm then loses accceleration. Doesn't pop or fart just seems to hit a power ceiling. Same in every gear.
Seems to overheat too ...
My experience with lack of fuel from the fuel system [slow jet too small, float level too low, etc] is that the engine sputters; then if i release the throttle momentarily [to allow the bowl to re-fill] it picks up again. So i am wondering if it is a carb problem. With a lack of fuel for whatever reason i would expect sputtering.

A couple of years ago mine would not accelerate past 5000 RPM. After checking everything over a period of weeks i discovered that the tach was incorrect and it was reaching the 6000 RPM limit.

I would start with the basics: pushrod adjustment, intake/exhaust leaks, ignition timing; just to be certain these are good and are not messing with the symptoms. Then ... ?
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Kingrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you guys.
So can I can pull the bowl off the carb without removing the entire carb?
There is an in-line filter which I cleaned with carb cleaner -there was some crud in there.
I did put baffles in the bike recently as well. It has drag pipes on there.
Mick do you mean that after momentarily releasing the throttle,allowing the bowl to refill, that you could overcome the acceleration ceiling of 5000 rpm? My tach is suspect - it doesn't work at idle but seems 'normal' at when riding.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrabbit View Post
... So can I can pull the bowl off the carb without removing the entire carb?
There is an in-line filter which I cleaned with carb cleaner -there was some crud in there.
I did put baffles in the bike recently as well. It has drag pipes on there.
Mick do you mean that after momentarily releasing the throttle,allowing the bowl to refill, that you could overcome the acceleration ceiling of 5000 rpm? My tach is suspect - it doesn't work at idle but seems 'normal' at when riding.
My only carb experience is with Keihin butterfly carbs.

I never work on the carb while it is on the bike. Perhaps it is OK if you have the patience. But after removing the bowl, which is the easy part, then there are the jets etc. I prefer to use this carb stand, then i can check everything carefully; IMO this is the only way to accurately check/set the float level ...

If the filter had crud then probably so does the bowl, jets etc. A good carb cleaning may be in order ...

Cleaning a Carb
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=185361

I was posting about two separate situations. When the bad tach read 5000 RPM the engine was actually running at 6000 RPM and had hit the rev limit set in the Ultima ignition module. The other situations were with float level too low, slow jet too small, or air filter clogged up.

The sputtering was similar in all of these situations.
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

try taking the baffles back out. carb may have been richened to run them by,p.o.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 77
dr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud of

before you go messing with things, what has changed. you said it was running fine not too long ago so something has changed. if its a clogged fuel filter and you mess with the carb settings now your chasing 2 problems. if the fuel filter was clogged get a new one, or atleast take it off and see if your problem goes away. i dont think just some carb cleaner will clean it properly. and if its clogged it will starve you of fuel.
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: '78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: 93" Shovel/Pan
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
rivethog has disabled reputation

If your petcock stil has the screen on it, get rid of the inline filter.
What changes'repairs have you made since it last ran correctly?
ACE Hardware gr. 8 bolts Krylon & Rustoleum "premium" paint JT-6 waterproof grease, Emgo oil filter Loctite blue red & green AutoZone headlight bulb socket genuine Aftermarket rear fender generic countershaft sprocket Radio Shack 16ga & 14ga wire forks off of a 180mph drag bike Swallow 4.60H18 rear tire 3.50 x 19 Shanghai front
Old 15th July 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

Carb cleaner will not remove debris from inside a filter. They're cheap, replace it. Also, a lean carb increases engine heat.

I'd check some of the things noted here and if carb work is needed, remove it like Mick says. Ya just can't get good access to the jets and stuff with it on the bike.
Know Thy Hog