The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrabbit View Post
Excellent advice guys and I do appreciate it.

I will be following up on the in-tank filter (can I access it by pulling the petcock off?) , the A/C and the carburetor and will report progress.

Mick, on the topic of foam filters, given bike was equipped with one in '73 when it rolled off the factory floor, do you think it would be good enough now? Is it too primitive / inefficient?

This 9 to 5 thing has a way of getting in the way of the important stuff.
the in tank filter is reach thru the petcock , as far the stock air filter if properly oiled is ok , but if you need a new air filter then buy a k & n air filter if you can find one to fit your A/H housing . Nikki
Old 26th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

If I was gonna use a in line fuel filter I'd get one for gravity fed the auto one was made to be ok with a fuel pump but most are to restrictive for gravity fed.A lot of your old tractors and lawn mowers were gravity fed.
Old 26th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,would get one for a,motorcycle. i,got mine from,j&p. it has a,glass case so you can see any,impurities.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 26th July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
... on the topic of foam filters ... do you think it would be good enough now? Is it too primitive / inefficient? ...
Yes it will be plenty good enough. Cleaning instructions from the FSM ...
  1. wash with detergent and water, or non-flammable petroleum solvent
  2. allow to dry thoroughly
  3. saturate with new crankcase oil, working in by hand until element is uniform in color
  4. drain off excess oil
I have used ordinary dish detergent for this. I would squeeze out excess oil as i think [rightly or wrongly?] that the FSM instructions to allow the excess to merely drain would leave it too wet with oil?
Old 27th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

if that solves your problem,you might consider,a,k&n air filter,as an upgrade. excellent air filter for any type of,vehicle. [like nikki,said.]
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: shovester project
Sportster/Buell Year: 80s
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz440
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
billeuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nice

in-line fuel filetrs for outboard boat motors also work. This time of year every hardware store stocks boating supplies
Old 28th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Kingrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

The internal gas filter is shot, it had some holes in it which quickly became rips as I tried to remove it. Oddly the brass tube had vertical cracks in it. Will get new one. Picked up a new inline filter as well. Question, how do I get the manifold studs out to pull the carb off?
Old 28th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The internal gas filter is shot, it had some holes in it which quickly became rips as I tried to remove it. Oddly the brass tube had vertical cracks in it. Will get new one. Picked up a new inline filter as well. Question, how do I get the manifold studs out to pull the carb off?
the new petcock will come with a new internal filter so no need for an inline filter . the nuts on the studs hold the carb on you should just need to remove the nuts and the air filter housing then pull the carb toward you . Nikki
Old 28th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Kingrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

there are no nuts on the carb side of the manifold, just the ends of the studs are visible. there are nuts on the other side but these just want to back off wthout moving the stud at all. the studs are not slotted either. i was thinking the po had screwed them thru that way. the carb is on there as tight as can be. . any suggestions?
Old 28th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Remove the nuts stud stays in carb.then you can remove carb
Know Thy Hog