The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
Zippers Performance
NRHS Performance Long 2
Sky Smith Insurance

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all
Default Exact Capacity of 4.5 gal. Tank...???

Since my low fuel light does not work properly, and I ride the boonies mostly I use my milage as a gas guage... I usually fill up near 150 mi. and it usually takes +/- 3.5 gal. ... I fill to the flat sheet metal ring in the neck & on the jiffy stand, is that what is considered a full tank...???
I was just wondering if the 4.5 gal. was on the money or like most other stuff is just sorta close to the actual capacity, and if my fill ups are propper for a full tank, as some times it gets scarey before a gas station is located...???
Any info would be appreciated...
Thanks, and have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 16th July 2012
Rider Of Motorcycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the 4.5 gallons is what it would hold without a fuel pump inside the tank. I'm sure the pump takes up some of that volume, but I don't know how much of it. I guess one could fill the tank and then drain it in a container and get a precise measurement how much comes out. But you fill yours just like I do ... to the rim. I guess that's as full as it can get.
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
gusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of light

You should be happy that the same (or close) amount goes in the tank.
Run with that fact.
Many use the trip odometer and fill at designated miles gone.

I fill every 100. I know 120 area and expect the engine to sputter and need the reserve switch to be thrown.
100 miles is a good time to get off the bike and stretch my legs.

You don't want to be running the tank near empty.
The gas in the tank is the coolant for the fuel pump.
It's hard on the pump without coolant.
2002 XL 1200 SE A/C & SE mufflers Mustang seat, Harley Hard Bags, Detachable Backrest w/Luggage Rack Kuryakyn Stop/Turn Signal Controller w/pulse brake, Pegs and Stirrups, Forward Controls, Memphis Fats Windshield
Old 16th July 2012
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

I take around the same amount at 150 miles. Most I have put in my 06 is 4.2 gallons. I almost always stop around 150 and normally take 3.5 - 3.8 gallons. However when I took 4.2 I had only traveled around 160. I had a very stiff headwind that day, so be aware of any high winds and plan accordingly.

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 16th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
aklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusotto View Post
You don't want to be running the tank near empty.
The gas in the tank is the coolant for the fuel pump.
It's hard on the pump without coolant.
I've heard that one many times but no one has really substantiated it. I don't think it generates that much heat that it could burn the fuel. I sure wouldn't want a heating iron in the fuel, would you? Also, as to the coolant part, the fuel running thru it probably does the job and if you run out of fuel, the pump stops since the motor quits so not sure where the problem is.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

Just curious, op, are you running the bike with the petcock "on" then switching to reserve when you sputter out? I use my odometer to time fill ups as well, but that reserve is always there waiting for me.
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: CB750k SOHC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I've heard that one many times but no one has really substantiated it. I don't think it generates that much heat that it could burn the fuel. I sure wouldn't want a heating iron in the fuel, would you? Also, as to the coolant part, the fuel running thru it probably does the job and if you run out of fuel, the pump stops since the motor quits so not sure where the problem is.
As a mechanic I can assure you that the fuel does Infact cool the fuel pump and the fuel pump is a Delphi unit its a pos all gm's come with the same pump and they fail often for the same reason... People run the tanks down to "e" a lot! So with that being said... I wouldn't push much beyond 150 if you putting 3.5 in that 1 gal left should be enough to cool the pump!

"pious devil" the bikes they are referring to don't have petcocks they are "efi" they only have a low fuel light like your car.

After install:
[URL="http://youtu.be/f3vMKoFHw-8"]http://youtu.be/f3vMKoFHw-8[/URL]

Facebook XL Group:
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/groups/202086829894902/?ref=ts&fref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/groups/202086829894902/?ref=ts&fref=ts[/URL]

Facebook TC88A Group:
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/TC88A/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/TC88A/[/URL]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i334/cbsevenfiftyk/2-1%20exhaust/th_DSCN0231.jpg[/IMG]
Old 16th July 2012
an obsession handed down

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant future

Before my lift and SE air filter, I once ran it to 164 and had not turned it to reserve...but usually I'd fill up at 155.

Taxes are paid!

...Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...~Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia
Old 16th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
aklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04xl1200c View Post
As a mechanic I can assure you that the fuel does Infact cool the fuel pump and the fuel pump is a Delphi unit its a pos all gm's come with the same pump and they fail often for the same reason... People run the tanks down to "e" a lot! So with that being said... I wouldn't push much beyond 150 if you putting 3.5 in that 1 gal left should be enough to cool the pump!

"pious devil" the bikes they are referring to don't have petcocks they are "efi" they only have a low fuel light like your car.
I never had a car that ran above a quarter tank before filling. Unless I had to, every time I ran it, they would be at the "E" mark and then some before I filled. So doesn't the fuel running thru it cool it? If what you are saying is true, I should be changing pumps every couple of months. I would think the fuel running thru it constantly would be way more cooling than just the fuel sloshing around especially if there is a fuel tank baffle.
Old 16th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04xl1200c View Post
All this new fangled technology, how can an old man keep up?
Know Thy Hog