The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
S&S Cycle
Lowbrow Customs
Licks Cycles
S&S Cycle

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Thanks folks, I would not run over 150 mi. anyway unless caught in a have to situation, I really like to have plenty of fuel...
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 16th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
aklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Thanks folks, I would not run over 150 mi. anyway unless caught in a have to situation, I really like to have plenty of fuel...
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
I usually run it to about 180 or about 50 miles after the light comes on.
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I usually run it to about 180 or about 50 miles after the light comes on.
That's about what I'm thinking I coud do (50 mi.) in a need to case, I usually seem to have a very slight bit over a gal. left when the light comes on, if 4.5 is correct...
Thanks all, and have a good one...Tater...
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud of

Tater, my C will start to sputter at WFO after 180 miles. Actually pulled into station at 190 miles, still running & it took 4.2 gallons. Too close for me. I usually gas up at 150 to 160 these days.

Aklim, if you run it out of gas, the pump will continue to run untill you shut off the ignition, thereby burning the pump out. If you hit the kill switch when the bike stalls you'd be OK. I doubt it would set the residual gas in the tank on fire, but I don't care to test that theory.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L Sold
sco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura about

Well atleast I know it will hold atleast 4.2 gallons. The pump and expansion room has to take up some. I am imagining that they gave the total capacity without the pump and including the expansion. I wonder if the designer left out the words actual capacity in the manual so that we could have a discusion this long about it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th July 2012
an obsession handed down

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco0842 View Post
Well atleast I know it will hold atleast 4.2 gallons. The pump and expansion room has to take up some. I am imagining that they gave the total capacity without the pump and including the expansion. I wonder if the designer left out the words actual capacity in the manual so that we could have a discusion this long about it.

I've thinking about putting a 1 gallon jug of gas on the rear and seeing how long she'll go with the lift...

Oh, and Brian...I thought 164 was pushing it. Geez!

Taxes are paid!

...Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...~Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia
Old 17th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

aklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura aboutaklim has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Aklim, if you run it out of gas, the pump will continue to run untill you shut off the ignition, thereby burning the pump out. If you hit the kill switch when the bike stalls you'd be OK. I doubt it would set the residual gas in the tank on fire, but I don't care to test that theory.
That doesn't make sense at all. I have run a few cars out and the pump never runs after the engine dies. I can hear the pump prime when the run switch is set on. I pulled the plugs and the pump stops with the engine so it cannot be still pumping.

I believe there is a pump relay that will only be set to run when the engine is running or it is being primed. Otherwise, if you run out of fuel and leave the ignition on, BOOM!!!

And yes, the wife left the bike in run mode one night. Battery was low the next day but no explosion.
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

sco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura aboutsco0842 has a spectacular aura about

GM only runs the pump while the engine is running. This is for accidents so that the pump is not putting fuel on the ground. Ford uses a switch in the passenger compartment that trips in a head on collision. I have not paid attention to the pump when stalled. I know the tilt kills it.
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

The wife is convinced that soon she will be following me with 4.5 gallons of gas in the truck soon.
Old 17th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco0842 View Post
GM only runs the pump while the engine is running. This is for accidents so that the pump is not putting fuel on the ground. Ford uses a switch in the passenger compartment that trips in a head on collision. I have not paid attention to the pump when stalled. I know the tilt kills it.
I stalled it but the pump was silent unlike when it primes.
Know Thy Hog