The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Licks Holiday
Lickscycles
Licks Cycles

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 71' XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: 1956 FLH
antsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura about
Default Thoughts on Lucas oil upper cyclinder lube in your ih?

So what do you guys think? Claims to be good at removing carbon deposits which I certainly have. Is it safe for our gals?
Old 21st July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

can't imagine it would hurt anything. i posted about my bike "dieseling" last summer and one of the comments was that it could related to excess carbon, and one way to get rid of the carbon was to remove the air cleaner and lightly (very lightly) spray a very fine mist of water into the carb, while revving it up enough to keep it from stalling out. any carbon that is in the combustion chamber will be dislodged and blown out the exhaust. it's been over a year ago now, i have yet to try this...

that old post is here, if you care to review it:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1117590
Old 21st July 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant futurebrianbbs67 has a brilliant future

Lucas oil stabilizer is a 5 to one mix and heavy. So I can't imagine a half a pint in 2 qts will hurt, but never tried it. Since most old iron heads are almost total loss systems, not really but close, any difference is probably neglible.
Old 21st July 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

antsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
can't imagine it would hurt anything. i posted about my bike "dieseling" last summer and one of the comments was that it could related to excess carbon, and one way to get rid of the carbon was to remove the air cleaner and lightly (very lightly) spray a very fine mist of water into the carb, while revving it up enough to keep it from stalling out. any carbon that is in the combustion chamber will be dislodged and blown out the exhaust. it's been over a year ago now, i have yet to try this...

that old post is here, if you care to review it:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1117590
thanks doodah! I did my pushrods this week. I may re seal my exhaust and try the water technique this weekend.
Old 21st July 2012
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Tried the water mist back in the 70s or 80s on a high mileage ironhead that needed top end redone, the trick is to make sure the engine is fully warm, at least 30 minutes of riding before misting the engine, upon disassembly of the engine it was noted the typical amount of carbon deposits were greatly reduced, it was also evident by the black sooty stripe on the shop floor from the sporty's drag pipes, it does work.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st July 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

I'm looking really forward to trying the water misting approach, thanks for the tip! Outside of that, is anybody actually running lubricant in their gas tank on a regular basis?
Old 21st July 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,think it's a,good idea. would help to prevent wear on cast iron valve seat's,that haven't been,converted. ezmerf uses a,similar product i,believe.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 21st July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

IMO there is nothing special about the Lucas product. Another is the SeaFoam product. Remember Bardhol from days gone by? I am sure there are many others. Probably all the same except for the advertising.

I run the Seafoam thru my engine once a year, as part of my winter project.
Old 21st July 2012
USCG Mechanic Retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: FXE Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tiderider will become famous soon enoughtiderider will become famous soon enoughtiderider will become famous soon enoughtiderider will become famous soon enoughtiderider will become famous soon enoughtiderider will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsap View Post
I'm looking really forward to trying the water misting approach, thanks for the tip! Outside of that, is anybody actually running lubricant in their gas tank on a regular basis?
Be careful if you do and follow a detailed regiment, seen a couple of issues by a buddy who got a little heavy on the H2O, started using oil, we pulled the head to find broken rings.

I like Lucas in my bt tranny, good stuff, never tried their gas treatment.
Old 22nd July 2012

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

yes a,liquid can't be compressed.it causes hydro-lock. similar to when fuel floods the combustion chamber. i'm,not against that idea,but the water must be sprayed in,with,fine droplets. [mist]
Know Thy Hog