The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Sky Smith Insurance
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
moparerrnocar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mixture screw has no effect on RPM (pilot too big?)

If the mixture is fully seated and the bike still idles no differentially does this mean the pilot is too large?

My bike has no change in rpm in relation to the mixture screw (anywhere from seated, to 4 turns out). Idles set @ 900-1000. Currently it has 45 pilot but I think its too big.

Bike is a '94 883/1250, 883 heads w/ 1200 valves (10.3:1), SE AC, 1.75 drag pipes, SE .497 cams, dyna 2000 ignition and twin fire coil. The carb has a red yost needle in the #4 clip (w/o shim), yost tube, yost spring, and 180 main.
Old 22nd July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparerrnocar View Post
If the mixture is fully seated and the bike still idles no differentially does this mean the pilot is too large?

My bike has no change in rpm in relation to the mixture screw (anywhere from seated, to 4 turns out). Idles set @ 900-1000. Currently it has 45 pilot but I think its too big.

Bike is a '94 883/1250, 883 heads w/ 1200 valves (10.3:1), SE AC, 1.75 drag pipes, SE .497 cams, dyna 2000 ignition and twin fire coil. The carb has a red yost needle in the #4 clip (w/o shim), yost tube, yost spring, and 180 main.
I doubt that your pilot is too big.
My first thought is a vacuum leak.
How does it run?
Old 22nd July 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Deimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to all

I remember from some thread years ago where someone was having trouble trying to cure a too rich situation. It turned out that the diaphram in the petcock had a small leak and fuel was getting into the engine via the petcock vacuum line. I'm not suggesting you have this issue. I'm only making you aware of a possible source of fuel if you still run a petcock with a vacuum line.
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
I doubt that your pilot is too big.
My first thought is a vacuum leak.
How does it run?
I've sprayed carb cleaner around the boot and manifold b4 but noticed no change. How would a vac leak allow the bike to idle w the mixture screw seated?

It runs, "ok", throttle blips and roll ons could be better. Its not as responsive as I think it should be. It also pings when passing on interstate if I dont down shift. You only hear it if you turn your head and put you ear near the tank, otherwise there's too much wind/exh noise. I dont have a tach but you grab a fist full of throttle @ 2,500 in first gear it rips your arms off and pulls the wheel of the ground about 2" when I grab 2nd. Runs great and pulls strong all the way to 6k. I've backed the timing off trying to get rid of the ping, but if I go any further I'll sacrifice torque. This was off topic, but I figured I should mention it.
Old 22nd July 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Might check the float level
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Hammer Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Gcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond repute

Your engine set-up is similar enough to what I have on my 97. Tuner used a Dyno-Jet Carb Kit. Clip is on the 3rd knotch, 45 pilot, 180 main and 3.5 turns out on the idle mixture.

Your 45 pilot should be fine. I'd look for fuel getting into the mix from somewhere else.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading . "
--Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Performance 1250 kit w/ 30* Reverse Dome Pistons, Smash Level 883 Heads w/ 1.770 Intake/ 1.615 Exhaust & PAC Alloy Beehive Spring Pack, Impact 560 Lift Cams, Hammer Billet Aluminum Intake Manifold, Air Hammer Naked Billet Air Cleaner w/ 3" K&N Element, Mikuni HSR 42, Dynatek 2000P Ignition, Energy One Clutch w/ 15% Diaphram, Muller Power Clutch, Basanni Road Rage 2-1 Exhaust w/ 4" Performance Machine Billet Tip. Drag Specialties 8-Bolt Encapsulated Rotor, Cycle Electric Regulator and Stator.
Old 23rd July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus View Post
I remember from some thread years ago where someone was having trouble trying to cure a too rich situation. It turned out that the diaphram in the petcock had a small leak and fuel was getting into the engine via the petcock vacuum line. I'm not suggesting you have this issue. I'm only making you aware of a possible source of fuel if you still run a petcock with a vacuum line.
The petcock diaphragm is a possibility, as well as the enrichener circuit.
Old 23rd July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparerrnocar View Post
...I've backed the timing off trying to get rid of the ping...
Have you checked your VOES?
Old 24th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
oldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to all

I had the same with my '06 1200. Finally read a post by another member (don't remember who) who changed out their accelerator pump diaphram and that took care of the issue.

I changed mine, the old one didn't have any tears or holes. It was discolored and had some corrosion on the top side. After changing it, my mixture adjustment finally works.

Don't know if your bike, being older, has an accelerator pump, just my .02.
Old 24th July 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
The petcock diaphragm is a possibility, as well as the enrichener circuit.

Have you checked your VOES?
No diaphragm, but enrichener might be a possibility. My voes works, but not sure where it should be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
I had the same with my '06 1200. Finally read a post by another member (don't remember who) who changed out their accelerator pump diaphram and that took care of the issue.

I changed mine, the old one didn't have any tears or holes. It was discolored and had some corrosion on the top side. After changing it, my mixture adjustment finally works.

Don't know if your bike, being older, has an accelerator pump, just my .02.
Really, hmm, you know that just might be it. I too checked it for cracks/holes and found nothing. I guess its worth a try, sure cant hurt. Thanks
Know Thy Hog